Author Topic: 8.5 month old still on a 3 hr EASY  (Read 994 times)

Offline diyasmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
8.5 month old still on a 3 hr EASY
« on: October 14, 2005, 15:53:56 pm »
My DD doesn't take a lot of solids. I still have to nurse her 6 times for her to sleep through! Also, she is able to go 3.5 hrs in the afternoons without BF. But she wakes up in the middle of the night for a feeding if I do that. Is my body trained to produce milk based on 3 hr feedings(meaning less milk than a 4hr feeding schedule)? Do I have to try changing the interval to 3.5 to 4 hrs so that I'll produce more milk or should I give her extra formula? I so badly want to do this so that we can increase her A time and change her routine so that she will have only 2 naps instead of 2 short am and pm naps & a 2 hr long catnap:(
Our routine:
8 BF
9 Solids
9.45 Nap(45 mins or 1.5 hr)
11.30 BF
12.30 Solids
1.30 Nap(45 mins)
2.30 BF
3.30 Solids
4.30 Nap(1.5 hrs:( )
5.30 BF
7 BF
8.30 BF and bed
Since this relates to BF, I am going to post it in the BF forum too.

Thanks in advance
Vidya
Vidya
Diya 1/25/05 Angel/Textbook and very spirited

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
8.5 month old still on a 3 hr EASY
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 11:34:41 am »
HI Vidya - i saw Gracekelly's mom's reply in BF forum and thought i woudl check in with you .  i still think as per my reply to you in the jan/feb forum which was:

"my only thought about your situation is that with 6 breastfeeds i think she is too full to increase her solids. Personally i woudl not add in formula, your body will certainly be making enough milk as it is based on demand and with 6 BF a day i imagine your supply is good right? if it were me i woudl take the plunge and cut back the BF a little and give it a few days for her and you to adjust , which YES could mean she might wake in the night once or twice or NOT at all. but just like any other change they need to adjust and i really don't think she will initiate it if she is happily feeding that much. i woudl definitely at 8 mo be pushing to 4 hr feeds and getting her settled into a new food routine gradually. start with one breast and solid combo and work your way up until all feed cycles are better. HTH"

but i also wondered what happens when you try to increase her A time now? forgive me for not recalling if you mentioned in previous posts on our thread...

also - if you cannot incraese A time too much yet (which would stretch out the feeds and hopefully lead to 2 naps) i was looking at your routine again and thought instead of Bf so much in the early evening, could you do BF only after 2nd nap and then move those solids to after the 3rd nap so it is more "dinner" - if you include some cereal or other carb, it (in combination with the bedtime feed) could help carry her through the night without the extra BF
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified