Author Topic: Cluster and Dream Feed... bad habit?  (Read 1883 times)

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Cluster and Dream Feed... bad habit?
« on: October 14, 2005, 18:24:39 pm »
We've been trying the cluster feed and dream feed, but I am wondering if it is leading to bad habits.  Our dd (4 weeks) wakes up 2 hours on the nose after the dream feed (last night it was 1 hour... then she made it to the 2.5 hour mark, but hardly ate anything).  Any suggestions?
Also, should she be taking a full feed at the clusters and df?  I know she takes 2 oz at the df since we give her EBM. 
Thanks!

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

annamum

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 02:51:56 am »
I know that for us cluster feeds were really needed. Anna was always the most hungry in the afternoons and early evening so it made a huge sense for her and me to cluster feed.

As for the dreamfeed, I did that for a while too, but from today's perspective, I am not sure it helped her sleep longer. It really works for some babies and it doesn't for some. Those for whom it doesn't work, wake up often at the time or just before the time of dreamfeed. My dd has had a lighter sleep around this time and could easily stir and awake.

Offline DeannaB

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 02:56:40 am »
I agree.  I do like to cluster feed, but dropping our dreamfeed ending up being the key to getting Micah to sleep better after it.  IF I woke him to feed him at 10pm or so, he would be restless for the next several hours waking frequently.
Zachary 9/22/01  Kalla 7/21/03
Micah 6/29/05   Maressa 2/13/07

Visit my BLOG