Author Topic: Pumpkin -- how to cook?  (Read 2547 times)

Offline Arwyn's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
  • Arwyn -- April 5th, 2005
Pumpkin -- how to cook?
« on: October 14, 2005, 18:26:03 pm »
Hi there,

This being the season for pumpkin, I wanted to make some for DD. BUT, I don't know how... did not grow up with pumpkin so I've no clue where to start (other than buying the pumpkin  :) )

I would like to know how long to cook it, how to cook it (baked, steamed, boiled) and how much to cook (I hear it makes alot).

Thanks!
Ankie
Burnaby, B.C. Canada

Offline VolleyballMama

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Pumpkin -- how to cook?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 19:15:44 pm »
This kind of goes along with the same thing....what about pumpkin seeds?
Amanda

**Alanna LeeAnn - 9/14/03**
**Jarett Omega - 4/10/06**

The love really IS multiplied!

Offline dkjokisch

• Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 19:35:42 pm »
There are a number of ways to cook it, but I have read that baking pumpkin (and winter squashes) enhances the flavor (and I think it's the easiest).

Cut the pumpkin in half and scoop out the seeds and gunk.  Place the pumpkin cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet and add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan.  Bake at 350ish for an hour or so (until the skin starts to brown and the pumpkin is soft to the touch.  The purpose of the water is to keep the pumpkin juice from scorching on the pan (nasty smell), but about halfway through cooking the pumpkin will start releasing its moisture as well.

Let it cool, and scoop out the flesh.  Puree (or cut up).  Cooked pumpkin can be frozen.  I've used this method to cook and freeze pumpkin for Thanksgiving and Christmas pies, and I've done the same with butternut squash for dd.

You can also cut and peel raw pumpkin and then boil or steam it, but peeling raw pumpkin takes quite a bit of effort.

As for pumpkin seeds... separate the seeds from the other gunk, but do not wash them off.  Spread them out on a baking sheet and drizzle them with a bit of vegetable oil.  Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes (or until starting to brown), stirring once.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline Petunia

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 20:54:03 pm »
Thanks, Deborah!  Useful info and didn't know where to find it either.

Offline Arwyn's mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • Arwyn -- April 5th, 2005
Pumpkin -- how to cook?
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 21:43:51 pm »
Thanks Deborah!!! Really appreciate it  :D
Ankie
Burnaby, B.C. Canada

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Pumpkin -- how to cook?
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 21:46:08 pm »
australia has pumpkin all year round and we eat it every week - and has always been a fantastic baby food.  although baking it is the nicest way it is not the easiest due to having the oven on for ages etc...

i simply cut off a section of pumpkin in the same way i woudl a melon and then scoop out seeds and peel the outer skin off with a large knife.  just cut into large pieces and either steam for 10 min or put in a pot of boiling water as you woudl potatoes for mash.

then simply puree or mash depending on stage for baby.

takes 15 min start to finish and is still so tasty.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
Pumpkin -- how to cook?
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 22:28:01 pm »
For yummy seeds probably for mom & dad, not baby as it has cayenne pepper (but maybe some older dcs would like)...

1 medium pumpkin
5 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Pinch cayenne pepper to taste
1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil

1. Heat oven to 250.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Cut pumpkin open from the bottom, removing seeds with a long handled spoon.  Separate flesh from seeds and discard.  Pumpkin should yield 1 cup seeds (mine always yield more so I do a double recipe).  Spread seeds on parchment in an even layer.  Bake until dry, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.  Let cool.

2.  In a medium bowl, combine 3 tablespoons sugar, saalt, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, and cayenne.  Heat peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat.  Add pumpkin seeds and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.  Cook until sugar melts and the pumpkin seeds begin to caramelize, about 45 to 60 seconds.  Tranfer to bowl with spices, and stir well to coat.  Let cool.  These may be stores in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Yummy!  (It's from Martha Stewart awhile back...)

Offline Debprins

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • And now there are two...
Pumpkin -- how to cook?
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 00:47:20 am »
I'm a bit lazy.. I cut up the pumpkin in large chunks. Cut off skin then whack it in a microwave steamer. I press how ever may pieces htere are say 5 and cook for the amount of time it say s for potato( we have a button that says potato..) Then i whizz it it with a stick blender and put into ice cube trays to freeze. Whole process takes around 10 mins!