Author Topic: 8 month old dropping to 45 minute naps  (Read 1152 times)

Offline sycorrell

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
8 month old dropping to 45 minute naps
« on: October 14, 2005, 18:59:13 pm »
My daughter had pretty consistently been taking 3 naps a day - 2 for about 1.5 hours each and a late afternoon catnap.  I wrote out what her schedule had been below.  In the past week or so, she has started sleeping for an hour max. every time.   She does not cry when she wakes up but she is awake and shows no sign of going back to sleep.

6:30 am  Wake and bottle
7:30 am  Breakfast
8:30 - 9 am   Nap (1.5 hours)
10:30 am  Bottle
11:30 am - noon  Lunch
12:30 - 1 pm  Nap (1.5 hours)
2:30  Bottle
3:30 pm  Juice
4:30 - 5 pm  Catnap (45 minutes)
5:30 pm  Dinner
6:45 pm  Bath, bottle, bed

I have tried to go up and sooth her and get her back to sleep but it has worked maybe 1 time in the 20 times I have tried it.  She is good about falling asleep on her own - I put her in the crib awake.  She is not crying when she wakes up, and sometimes not even upset (she looks at her mobile and bumper) so I do not think I need to do pu/pd.

What should I do?  Is this just the way it is going to be?  Should I try sleep to wake (which I have never tried)?  I work parttime from home so needless to say I am getting very little done during the day these days.  Help!
Stacy C.
Mother of Julia, born February 9th

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
8 month old dropping to 45 minute naps
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 00:56:10 am »
She's ready to drop her late afternoon cat nap.

I would extend her morning awake time a bit more, and the awake time between the morning and afternoon nap. So, push her morning awake time closer to 3 hours and the awake time between a little more than 3 hours. You will have to do it gradually, or you'll overload her.

Hope this helps!
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004