Author Topic: Sleepless in Seattle Part 2  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Ceri

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 15, 2005, 00:08:51 am »
Hi

I posted a few days ago and thanks to Betsy I understand that to resolve my DD's now hourly night wakings I need to extend her hours awake from about 2 to 2.5 or more. She still isn't consistently taking good naps, which is also contributing to the problem.

Should I go cold turkey and try and put her on extended waking hours and do PU/PD to lengthen the naps (she's been on the 4 hour routine for about 3 weeks now), or should I try and lengthen the naps first (they are lengthening slowly), and then extend her awake time gradually?

Since posting she is now in her own room, and takes 3 meals of solids a day, in increasing quantities.

Thanks

Ceri

Previous post:

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Sleepless in Seattle   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

I've recently put my DD Zoe (7 months old on 4 Oct) on the EASY routine. Things are moving in the right direction. In the last ten days she's moved from feeding night and day every two hours to a 4 hour daytime schedule, she is no longer nursed to sleep, and now sleeps in a crib instead of our bed.

However she is still waking at night in much the same pattern (2am, 4.45, 5.45). I'm pretty confident it's not hunger. I end up standing by the crib most of the night whilst she moves between invitations to play, and frustration at not being able to get back to sleep - she sometimes rocks on all fours, or bangs her head against the crib. I've tried the wake to sleep at night but that seems to just shift the waking times, so we do PU/PD, but I'm getting very tired, and so is Zoe.

I know she is having trouble making the transition between that first light sleep and the next phase. The daytime naps are erratic, sometimes good but often broken up (1 hour, followed by a half hour, or 2 half hours, over the 2 hour slot). I'm using wake to sleep to try and lengthen these. She eats solids with gusto twice a day, and I'm about to start a third meal of solids. She's just getting over her first cold, I don't think she's teething, but she is very active - mastered cross-crawling a couple of weeks ago and can stand in crib.

Given that she's made such great progress, I feel like I'm being impatient asking this but assuming she is simply waking out of habit, how long might it take for the night wakings to disappear using PU/PD?? Could the fact that the crib is in our bedroom be one of the reasons she's still waking? DH has moved out to get some sleep...

Here's her day:

6.45 - 7am wake up/BF
9am Nap
11am Solids (takes 2 1/2-3 oz) followed by BF
1pm Nap
3pm Solids (again, 2 1/2-3 oz) followed by BF
[she has just decided she doesn't want the 3rd nap]
6pm BF
6.30pm Bath
7pm Bed (occasionally wakes at 9pm
10.30 - 11pm DF

Any advice gratefully received...

Ceri

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Sleepless in Seattle Part 2
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 22:37:22 pm »
I think if you work on extending the naps & get the awake time at 2.5 hours+ you may get a 2/2.5/3 combination in there, it doesn't have to be an exact thing with each nap... my ds#1 used to do 2.5, 4,4.5 when he was  12mo... some babies need shorter awake times at certain times of the day.
If you can get about 2-3 hours of day time naps in you should be well on the way... then you may have to work on eliminating the night wakeups by pu/pd if they have become "habit"
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Ceri

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 00:36:45 am »
Thanks for the info. I've just noticed today that she is switching between 2.5 and 2 hour awake periods, but didn't realize that this was normal - thought my notes were wrong.

Zoe actually slept through till 5am without waking for the first time last night - yay! So I have everything crossed for tonight...