Author Topic: Weaning question  (Read 1206 times)

Offline ruthie5573

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: October 15, 2005, 01:25:11 am »
I am weaning my ds  :(   I stopped bf'ing today for a host of different reasons, but know it's the right decision for us.  Anyway, I was just wondering if I could maintain a supply if I decided to pump 2 x a day...once in the morning and once at night.  That way he'd still get the benefit of some breastmilk each day.  Anyone have any advice?  It would be probably 12 hours between each pumping.
Jon Kaylor born 4/1/03 Spirited Toddler
James Caden born 5/22/05 Textbook Baby
Maddie Grace born 9/27/06 Angel Baby
"A longing fulfilled is sweet to the soul" (Prov 13:19)

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
Weaning question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 01:56:54 am »
While it may be difficult to maintain supply just by pumping twice a day I would say yes, give it a try.  Any breastmilk is better than none.  Hope it works out for you.  Also, look at http://www.kellymom.com for some info about pumping.  And breastfeeding is based on supply/demand so hopefully even though you only pump twice a day hopefully your body will continue to make enough for those two pumpings.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

annamum

Weaning question
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 02:47:04 am »
Yes, it really depends on your body. Some women can maintain a huge supply by pumping only and others can't pump more than half an ounce even if they try very hard. I know one woman who pumped exclusively for 18 months, she never actually nursed her son. So, yes, give it a try, as Lindsey'sMom said, some breastmilk is better than none.

Just remember that now, while you are giving up other feeds, you may be engorged, if this becomes uncomfortable try to express just a little to relieve discomfort but not much so you don't keep producing that much. Makes sense? Your body should be able to adjust to a new demand and hopefully will do what you ask from it  :) .

Offline ruthie5573

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 03:01:04 am »
Thanks so much!  I was so engorged tonight and got a ton of milk.  I know it will slow down as my body regulates, but if I can continue to give ds a few ebm bottles a day, that would be awesome.  :D
Jon Kaylor born 4/1/03 Spirited Toddler
James Caden born 5/22/05 Textbook Baby
Maddie Grace born 9/27/06 Angel Baby
"A longing fulfilled is sweet to the soul" (Prov 13:19)