Author Topic: Short E and A long S  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Tyler's Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 16, 2005, 02:08:07 am »
My 6 week old usually feeds for approx. 15 mins and then gives me his sleepy cues sometimes right after the feed is finished (yawns, arms flailing, grizzling), sometimes after about 30 mins and then I have to wake him after about 2 hours as he can nap up to 3 hours during the day and I believe I shouldn't be letting him do that (is that right?)  Should I be putting him back down to nap so soon?  I am unsure whether his grizzling is sleepiness or wind as he is crying in a lot of his waking time now.

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Short E and A long S
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 02:19:10 am »
Oy. Six weeks was hell for us here. :( I was still trying to work out cues too.

Part of our problem turned out to be reflux, so I had to keep both babies upright for 20 minutes or so after a feed, which helped - yay bouncy seat.

All you can really do is follow cues as best you can. If you haven't dealt with the 6-week growth spurt yet, odds are you will soon, and everything will be topsy-turvy yet again. Meanwhile, if he wants to sleep, by all means let him unless he's significantly past his feed time. The time will come soon enough when you can feed him, take him to the grocery store, come home, play with him, and THEN put him down for a nap - hard as it may be to believe now. ;)

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
Short E and A long S
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 02:20:30 am »
Hello.  I think 3 hours is ok for a nap during the day at his age.     I also think it is ok to let their feed and diaper change be their activity time at this age.  Especially if he is yawning.  He is still pretty young so just go with his cues.  I personally was never one to wake Lindsey when she was that young once she was gaining weight well.  But if you want to wake him for a feed I would let him go up to three hours or if you don't want to wake him just feed him as soon as he wakes.  As long as he is not getting his days and nights mixed up it should be ok to do either.  With babies sleep begets sleep so the more sleep they get the better they sleep and easier it is to get them back to sleep because they are not overtired.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th