Author Topic: I am trying: Update :)  (Read 2112 times)

stasztk

I am trying: Update :)
« on: October 16, 2005, 05:52:30 am »
thanks for your help.  :D

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 06:13:59 am »
Teresa, given what you have been through you are doing FANTASTICALLY WELL.
I think if she sleeps better with your dh then that is best for everyone. If you can be food person & dad be sleep person I really think that would help her (& you) so much in the transition.
I think taking "baby" steps is needed for you... I am glad I found BW & believe it is great, but even Tracy herself would say you have to tweak things for each baby & family. As I know your dh isn't working I do think it could work for him to look after sleep time... I don't have the big issues you do & I get very anxious at nap times & find it hard, so you aren't alone there either.
You have made so many encouraging comments to so many of us & we want to help you every step of the way.
2 night time feeds is very acceptable & in all honesty so would 3-4 if you yourself were happy with that... I am a firm believer that bf is a 2-way thing & I certainly get a certain amount of positive energy from it... it may not be BW, but I still feed Liam almost every time he wakes at night - why because it works for both of us & maybe because I feel the night feeds are a unique time with my lo... I think if your dh is happy to deal with the sleep time, it can be a unique & wonderful time for him too!
I would start with the crib for naps & 2 hours of pat/sh is ok Yes very long, but it is the beginning, I have had times it has taken Liam a long time & tears from me too, if she is not settling well for you, i think it is because she associates you as a human paci... you are how she "knows" to fall asleep, which is why it would be great if your dh did it for a few weeks of transition.
HTH, I'm sure you will get plenty more suggestions & can work out a plan from there.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

stasztk

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 17:36:03 pm »
Thank you Kate. You have been a big help.

Offline Arwyn's mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • Arwyn -- April 5th, 2005
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 01:38:34 am »
Teresa,

You are so very encouraging to others that I know you have the strength in you to do what you want to do. Not to mention overcoming all the challenges and crap from your ex -- you are an amazing woman.

Here's what we did... Arwyn also slept with us and used to nurse to sleep too. When I made the decision to move her to her room, we did it in several phases. First, she would be put down to sleep in her own crib by DH. If she woke, I would BF her and put her in the futon (in her room) with me to sleep the rest of the night. It sounds like you have something you could sleep on in Kaitie's room, right? We did this for a good long while.

Then, I started to dreamfeed. Once I dreamfed, I was reassured that if she woke less than 3 hours from the dreamfeed, I could pat her back to sleep in her own crib. I still fed her each time she woke up, provided they were at least 2.5 hrs to 3 hours apart. After BFing, she would go back in her crib the first time, for the second, she would sleep with me. Don't worry about 2 BFs during the night, that sounds bang on to me for Kaitie's age. The next step was to BF and put her in her crib for the second time. Eventually, we got it done over the course of 2-3 weeks. I think I could have done it faster but I didn't want to go any faster.

Arwyn was also held for all her naps during the day. So... I started putting her down in her crib for naps as well. If she stayed down, that was fine but I ended up doing pu/pd and pat/shush for over 2 weeks before she would stay asleep. I did this the same time as moving her to her crib at night.

I know it is very difficult to hear Kaitie cry... I can't stand to hear Arwyn cry and I don't have the history you do. You are doing a great job and take care of yourself too. 2 hours of pat/shush is a long time but Kaitie will cry because she doesn't know what the new way to go to sleep is and it is a learning process for her.

If your DH is up for it, try what Tracy says in the book and take 2 nights on and 2 nights off. This will give you some time and rest. Explain to your DH that Kaitie is associating sleep with pacifying on mommy, so he needs to help you both to get through it. This will pass, Kaitie is very young so it shouldn't take more than a week if you want to do it all at once.

Everything in moderation works for me. Do only what you think you can handle at any one time. Set your goal and then break it down into manageable chunks that you feel comfortable with.

I hope this helps. Good luck with everything. Let me know how it goes.
Ankie
Burnaby, B.C. Canada

stasztk

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 02:52:58 am »
Thank you Ankie. Your story helped me to feel not so alone.

stasztk

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 03:17:56 am »
Does anyone have any tips to help her stay asleep?

Offline Arwyn's mom

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 04:05:47 am »
Teresa,

I know a friend of a friend used to have to put weight on her lo's back or front when asleep to maintain sleep. You may want to do this??? I understand that this person used a shoe but that kinda freaks me out so maybe use a hot water bottle without room temperature water??? Just a thought.
Ankie
Burnaby, B.C. Canada

stasztk

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 15:57:01 pm »
There is a thought....Hmmmm

stasztk

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 07:09:48 am »
Kaitie is in her crib.  8) She has been asleep for almost three hours. She had a df and went back down beautifully! I am so excited! Oh and there was very very little crying tonight!

Woo hoo!

:D

Oh yeah!

:D

Offline Arwyn's mom

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 07:13:31 am »
Yeah Kaitie!!

Great news, Teresa  :D  :D  :D
Ankie
Burnaby, B.C. Canada

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 07:51:28 am »
Yeh for you all. The hard work is paying off.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 08:00:36 am »
that is awesome - very happy for you - and Katie!  :D
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified