Author Topic: Some help please!  (Read 978 times)

Offline milliesmaw

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Some help please!
« on: October 16, 2005, 08:35:33 am »
I would really appreciate a little help as a tolerable sleep situation seems to have gone a bit pear shaped!!

DS is 11 weeks today. Has always had a problem with daytime sleep and get v overtired. His nighttime sleep was ok in the beginning...

So I have manged to get him to take 45 minute naps in his cot every day sometimes 4 a day. Every now and again he'll sleep longer but I have given up trying for them as I was really stressing about it and using up all my time and not enjoying life! I can get him to nap quite easily now using pat/sssh.

I don't use a paci.

I realise that I had become a prop at night. DS would have a final b/feed and then go into cot awake and happy and settle himself to sleep. Now he doesn't do that and the feeding doesn't work (prob good thing!) He starts crying the moment he heads towards cot.

So I am trying pat/ssh for the nights but when i think I have achieved it he wakes up 3 or 4 hours later. He tried ti get his fingers to suck but hasn't quite mastered it yet. He has aneed to suck to sleep but I don't really want to introduce a paci at this stage (?) as we have benn managing without it - just!

Previously he slept 6 hours and then 4 hours.

Pat/ssh almost turns in to PU/PD. When I pick him up to comfort he jsut goes striaght to sleep on my shoulder. I put him down he wakes up. I'm kind of stuck with this :( i feel that PU/PD will work well for us but he's too young just yet .

Last night he went down by 8.30pm (pat/ssh)  woke at 11.30pm I fed him  :oops: but he wouldn't go down. Pat/ssh till about 1am finally goes to sleep about 2am , can't remember. He woke at 6am and I fed him again :oops: he wouldn't go back to sleep so I took him into bed with me. He is still asleep now. This will prob throw things even more out of place :shock:

So I am worried that I resorting to a lot of props to get me through the nights.

I can't really think straight so would love it if someone could point me in the right direction. It's all making me quite upset :cry:
Jo

Mum to Millie
4th November 2003
and Benjamin
31 July 2005

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Some help please!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 09:19:14 am »
I would love to help but can't say that I can, I gave in to the paci :oops:  problem although he doesn't really use it at night mostly daytime naps. But I probaly will be using it to wean him of his night time feeds soon. I hope it doesn't back fire on me. I'm just writing to send out some support I know how difficult things can be and how we dream of one good night sleep ,from one sleepless mom to another :wink: . Chin up tomorrow is another day and things will be different and good times will be just around the corner. 

I hope somebody has some good advice to help you out.

Offline milliesmaw

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Some help please!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 12:38:38 pm »
Hi  Travis's mum - just read your other post. Seems like we have a lot of the same issues! Hope there is light at the end of the tunnel soon. thanks for your words of support :D

Jo
Jo

Mum to Millie
4th November 2003
and Benjamin
31 July 2005

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Some help please!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 17:01:50 pm »
honestly, i think you're doing pretty good!  keep in mind that there is a 3-month growth spurt too, so you are heading straight for that.

i might try doing his last feed around 8pm, feed again between 10-11pm, and hope to stretch him until 6-7 am - comfort him if he wakes crying before then in the night.

obviously, if he cries a hungry cry feed him, but you would know that sound better than i!  :lol:
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy