Author Topic: which bottle do you drop first  (Read 2111 times)

Offline alibabe

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
which bottle do you drop first
« on: October 16, 2005, 08:41:12 am »
hi,  started weaning my son 2 weeks ago - at 16 weeks (he is big baby & dr said to get started).  he feeding is roughly

9.30 - 8oz bottle
1.30  - 8oz bottle & baby rice
3.30 - fruit puree & bottle - though sometimes doesnt finish 8oz
6.00 - vegatable puree
6.45 - 8oz bottle
11pm - dream feed 8oz bottle
5.30am - 8oz bottle

i hopefully want the 5.30 am morning feed to push on to later , but up to now no success.  any advice would be most welcome.  first baby and sometimes not sure what i am supposed to be doing! :?

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 09:36:02 am »
At this stage you need to be keeping up all the bottles
solids should only be like a chocolate after a meal, particularly as you have started so early. Solids up until at least 9months old should be in addition to milk & not as a replacement for milk & should always be offered after the milk & not before, so that the tummy is protected against food that may upset it. Babies under 6mo have very delicate intestines & many don't react well to solids which is why the current trend is for solids around 6mo.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Seona1973

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 09:38:25 am »
At your lo's age I wouldnt be dropping any bottles - solids should be in addition to his usual milk feeds, especially as first weaning foods have fewer calories than milk itself.

What time does your lo wake in the morning, go to bed at night and where are his naps?

Have you considered him starting his day earlier so that you can get more feeds into him in the daytime and make it less likely for him to wake in the night e.g. give first feed at 7/8am (even if you have fed him at 5.30am) to top him up and get him back on track at the start of the next day - you can then follow with the next feed at 11am/noon to keep along with your 4 hour schedule.  Have you tried doing a cluster feed in the evening i.e between the 6.45pm feed and df to see if that helps him go a little longer in the morning?

p.s. it is still normal for your lo to wake for a feed at this age - some babies need a night feed until they are 6 months or even older

Seona

Offline alibabe

• Showing Appreciation 0
thanks for replies
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 10:33:41 am »
hi,

many thanks for replies.  i had been doing the solids first then the milk so i obviously need to switch that (so many books say different things?) .  his last feed is at llpm then he is going through till 5 on average, then going straight back to sleep.  i went back to work at 3 months and he is in nursery 3 days a week.  i get him up at about 7.30 on nursery days, and about 9ish when i am home - he has bottle at about 9.30 both in nursery & home for first one .  he has gaviscon in his bottles for reflux probs which has helped immensley, so i really didnt wantto drop any of the milk feeds.  he weighs 20lb (he will be 18 weeks on mon) and was 9lb l when born.  he can be greedy also!!   i think once i do milk first he will not guzzle as much solid - he gorged on pear & banana 2 days ago and was quite sick!  many thanks - alison :)

Offline kdruve

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 04:52:50 am »
Hi Alibabe,

My lo is almost 3months old and we are trying to give him infant gaviscon in his bottle for reflux too. We have had terrible trouble finding the right teat though. The teats I found with a hole big enough for the gaviscon to fit through meant that he was having his whole bottle in 10mins!!!! And it should take about 15-20mins at least. Also, if he has the bottle that quickly he gets no sucking satisfaction and then sucks on a dummy for ages and cries thinking he wants more food because he got it so quickly. Also, do you give your lo gaviscon in every bottle and how much? I have not noticed a big improvement with the gaviscon. He still spits up a lot, and it can be right up to his next bottle. (which is every 4 hrs during the day.) Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts since your lo is having the same medication.
Thanks Karen
kdruve@bigpond.net.au