Author Topic: How are you going to deal with the time change!!!  (Read 1716 times)

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
How are you going to deal with the time change!!!
« on: October 16, 2005, 09:39:23 am »
Ladies do you have a plan on how to deal with the clocks going back I really don't want to be waking at 5 every morning it's bad enough as it is at 6 :shock:  :shock:
I was thinking maybe I can Kill two birds with one stone and maybe crank his bedtime back to 8 so that maybe he wakes at 8am :wink: is this possible or do babies not like to sleep till that time??

Please ladies if you have a plan of what you intend to do in preperation for the time change let us all know I'm ready to try anything :wink:

Offline scarletts mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 10:31:47 am »
Hi there

I have been thinking the same thing myself... I am planning to put her to bed a little later, also am going to leave her in bed until as close to her feeding time as possible... Scarlett normally wakes around 7.00am ish.. so if she wakes at 6.00 will try and leave her till maybe 6.30  feed her then add a few mins onto each bottle during the day.. so where as normally she would be fed at 7, 11, 3, 7.   I will feed her at 6.30.. 10.40, 2.50 and then back to normal at 7.00pm..... 

That is plan anyway..!!  I guess it will be a bit hit and miss but will have a go...!!

Let me know how you get on.

Lizzie

Offline Shella

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 11:58:22 am »
Hi
A couple of weeks ago I moved my ds's bedtime from 7pm to 8pm in preparation for the clocks going back at the end of the month. He now wakes up at 7am instead of 6am  :D  :D  :D He adjusted his body clock pretty quick thankfully. I now plan to continue putting him to bed at 8pm as I prefer losing an hour in the evening, and gaining an hour in bed in the morning. Another advantage is we don't have to rush home for the bedtime routine.
Love Michelle, mummy to Oliver Eli born 30.03.04

Offline frankiesmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 13:56:53 pm »
In Tracy's book, she says to just put them to bed an hour later.  I think that may be easier said then done.  It seems like no matter what time I put ds to bed, he always wakes between 7 and 7:30.  I really don 't want to go back to 6!  I think I am going to pretend that the change never happened and put him down for his nap and bedtime at the time the clock says, not the "real" time.

Kim

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 16:28:56 pm »
Thanks for the input ladies, Lizzie I will give your method a go over the next few days as your LO is a similar age and I think a tactfull approach is better. I knew I would have trouble if I added another catnap and did bed time routine one hour later (which is what I have tried today). I think your approach is a lot gentler an their little systems, thanks for the tip.

Any other ideas gratefully shared, Keep them coming ladies :wink:

Gigismom

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 16:34:32 pm »
i have been going crazy thinking about this too as gianna has always been an EARLY riser!!  about a month ago, our dd took a really late nap, so i jumped on the opportunity to shift the bedtime.  we started putting dd down at 8:30 instead of her usual bedtime of 7:30.  we have continued doing this and it took a few days but she started sleeping in.  she sleeps til 7 usually.  (although today for some horrible reason she woke at 5!...?)

one thing that i read is that even if your child wakes early, you should not put them down at their usual naptime.  try to keep them up until the new naptime...like if your child usually naps at 9am, after the time change he may be tired at 8am, but try to keep him up til as close to 9am as possible.  that is supposed to help reset their clock.  that is what i did with gianna and it has worked so far.

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 17:09:10 pm »
Quote from: frankiesmom
In Tracy's book, she says to just put them to bed an hour later.  I think that may be easier said then done. 

i think our lo's are going to surprise most of us.  luke is almost 9 months & i had been dreading the time change until recently.

twice is the past 2 months, he's ended staying up an extra hour (cause we were out with family).  he slept an hour later the next morning, so we ended up adjusting his nap times accordingly & he did fine.

fingers crossed everyone!  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 07:57:23 am »
So yesterday I tried to keep Travis up an extra hour he was having trouble going down for his last nap (catnap) usually when this happens and time does not permit we by pass it but yesterday I had an extra hour to deal with so I insisted. I woke him and started the bed time routine. It went reasonably smoothly untill he was having his last bedtime bottle. He screamed for bed and was restless, so as we had reached our target of 8pm I put him to bed and he went down well.

I would like to add that when he did finally go down for his 'catnap' I had a funny feeling that it was not a catnap and that his body thought it was bedtime!!  I did not want to risk him going into too deep a sleep so I woke him half hour later.

I then had to set my alarm clock to feed him at 12 instead of 11, which was awfull for me because just as I went to sleep I had to get up :? . He then woke at  4 instead of the usual 3 and I thought yes we've cracked it.  NO! He was up again at 6.30 :shock: Witth a big smile on his face. I tried to pat him to sleep he kept turning to look and smile at me.  I tried to give him his dummy he shot it across the cot. :?  So I decided as he was in such a playfull manner he could just stay there and play, which he did till 7.30 when DH fed him.

AT 8.30 he began moaning again I went in tapped him a little on the back and he drifted of into a deep sleep. He must of been exhasted! I then went into his room after 35min to catch him before he woke, Which I have never managed to do succesfully! He sturred a bit I patted and he went straight back to sleep. I have a funny feeling this is not just a normal nap time and he is finnishing off his nighttime sleep :? He has never been so co-operative!!

Oh well at least today it shouldn't be so hard to keep him awake till 8. FIngers crossed.  I don't think it's as easy with the little ones! I sappose it's to be expected a little bumpy for a few days.

I'd like to here how others with similar aged LO's get on. :lol:

Offline scarletts mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 15:56:38 pm »
Hi

I spoke to my mum about this the other day... (I am one of seven, so she has had plenty of practice!!)

Her advice was def the tactful approach on the feeding front.. just extending the feed time during the days they do wake up early to ensure a normal beddtime, but also to put her down at the time the clock says as normal and give her a bit of credit and that she will after a couple of days adjust her body clock herself!!  She is of the opinion that you can sometimes try to hard with these things and that they will settle themselves into their  normal routine with just a little guidance.

I am holding her to that...have told her she can stay over and get up at 6.00am when Scarlett wakes!!

Has anybody else got any other ideas?

Lizzie