Author Topic: Soothing the older baby  (Read 1312 times)

FrasersMum

Soothing the older baby
« on: October 16, 2005, 10:08:40 am »
Hi Everyone

I was wondering if anyone could share their tips on soothing help given to babies after pat/shh is more hinderance than help.

DS, 6.5+ months, as Tracy said, finds pat/shh annoying and it works him up rather than calming him.  I was wondering if others could share their strategies to soothe the older baby, when help is needed but before PUPD is necessary.  DS will not take a dummy and I have tried to introduce a comfort item but haven't been successful yet.  I feel so helpless standing beside him when he is crying but everything I try seems to wind him up further.  Plus I have never managed to get him to sleep using PUPD so I am obviously doing something wrong there - but would like to help earlier and not get into PUPD battles.

Any tips?? Thanks
Jo

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Soothing the older baby
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 16:58:40 pm »
loveys at this point are really still parent driven.  by that i mean you just keep giving him whatever it is when it's sleep time.  some folks have found that if mommy sleeps with the object for a couple days it helps because her scent is on it & that comforts the baby.

i also have found that pu/pd can annoy my ds, but pat/shhh doesn't work anymore either!   :roll:  what he seems to like best is to remain in the crib for soothing (leaving makes him madder) but i use my voice & keep repeating "it's okay luke" until he calms.  once he is calm i do turn away & walk out of the room (or try to!).  if he starts to cry (actually cry) i will return to his crib & start over again.  repeat as long as necessary.

HTH  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

FrasersMum

Soothing the older baby
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 00:02:52 am »
Thanks Jaime for the tip - I am at the stage when I will try just about anything. 

So could you tell me, how loud, how often (like over and over with no break or every 10 seconds or whatever) and what tone of voice do you use?

I have tried voice but it hasn't seemed to help - perhaps I am not loud enough/too loud etc etc.

Thanks!!
Jo

Offline james030405

• Showing Appreciation 22
  • James' birthday is 3rd April 2005
Soothing the older baby
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 00:59:52 am »
Hi Jo,

I have been trying to PM you but it hasn't been working for some reason so I will post here and hopefully you will see it.  I went to the Chermside Child health clinic this morning and I saw a pamplet for a Sleep group.

Sleep Group for babies over 6 months held regularly at:
Alderley Child Health Clinic
Shop 4, 24 South Pine Road Alderley

Ph:  3354 3150

When:  1st Friday of every month
Time:  2:00pm - 3:30pm
Please contact Alderley Clinic for bookings (no children allowed).

I am not sure if this will help you.  I asked about settling at my visit today and they advocate leaving for 5mins and then going back in and gently patting on bottom and when settled leaving again.  Continue for 10min, 15mins etc until asleep.  It goes against everything the BW says, but maybe the clinic maybe worth a try.  I tried this this morning but sort of combined a cuddle inbetween as I find this helped.  He then layed down and I just patted.  apparently it does get better. :?  :? Not sure when though.

Had a lovely time yesterday.  Maybe we could do it again soon. 

Lisa
[url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Soothing the older baby
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 18:22:09 pm »
what i usually do is keep repeating "it's okay luke" (and similar variations)  i speak very gently, and softly with a low tone.  i am actually talking and not whispering. 

i keep repeating it until he finally seems to hear it - and i can tell cause he seems to be paying more attention to me than to the crying.  when he's pretty much settled, i tell him good night and walk away.  we've been dealing with separation anxiety, so i was doing the walking away part cause then i could reappear if he started crying again.

there were days when i was in there for 40 minutes!  :roll:  but after a pretty intense week he seems to have learned the "cues".  now if i have to go in & resettle, it (usually) doesn't take as long.

HTH  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy