Author Topic: Lets talk poop!  (Read 1710 times)

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
Lets talk poop!
« on: October 16, 2005, 15:50:15 pm »
Red is nearly 4 months old. He is exclusively bfed and was diagnosed with reflux at 4 week of age. He is currently on a feed thickener rather than any meds, but we are still waiting for an appt with the ped to assess how this is going. I personally feel it is not well controlled, he is very very fussy at feed times. I mean inconsolable a lot of the time, he fusses throughout the feed, and is now to the stage where he won't nurse if i am sitting down - only if i am walking around and so he is distracted :?  :?  As he has the thickener with his feeds, his poop is very thick, and he has often suffered with constipation. I have been noticing more and more recently these 'stringy' bits in his poop, to be honest they look a bit 'wormy' (but they are not - i have checked!!!) and also a bit mucousy. I was just wondering if these might be a result of an allergy, and if the fussyness with feeding may be the same thing?? Opinions please - i am probably clutching at straws!!
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline evanskimberley

• Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
Lets talk poop!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 17:03:02 pm »
DD has had stringy stuff in her poo before when she has a cold. Is there a runny nose going on?
Kimberley

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
Re: Lets talk poop!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 17:23:38 pm »
Quote from: rooby-rooby-roo
As he has the thickener with his feeds, his poop is very thick, and he has often suffered with constipation.

Clair, Does the poop look like well moulded plastecine???  Lydia and Sam are up to 1 sachet per feed now, and she has real trouble with her poop.
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Lets talk poop!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 18:57:35 pm »
Keep an eye on the mucous. Our ped said this was a true tell tale sign of allergy (not sure of the reasoning why - something to do with milk being a mucous producer?). If the mucous continues you may also notice little specs of blood (sometime very tiny). This is often an indicator that something more is going on. At that stage you may want to ask for your doc to do a stoll sample.

hth
Sara

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
Lets talk poop!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 19:48:09 pm »
Do you have an ingredient list on the thickener? Do you eat a lot of dairy?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
Lets talk poop!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 23:07:34 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

Kimberley - He is fine - no colds/ runny noses yet (touch wood!)

Wendy - He is now on two sachets per feed, and although this worked for a little while, i think it has stopped being so effective. Yes his poop is normally like plasticine - what a good description! But is mucousy around it, and often has these stringy bits in too. No blood though.

Stacy - the ingredients are: sodium alginate, magnesium alginate (active ingredients) and also mannitol and colloidal silica.

I don't have huge amount of dairy, as i am a little intolerant myself. I get migraines if i eat cheese, milk and chocolate, and upset tummy with eggs and milk. I do however have skim milk in my tea, and enough to wet my cereal in the am (although i never drink the milk in the bowl.) I use a buttermilk spread on bread/ toast etc.

Do you think i should keep a journal of foods and how he is doing?
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline carolyn

• Showing Appreciation 67
Lets talk poop!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 00:11:55 am »
I definately would keep a journal, Clair.  The one I did with John included what and when I ate, how much and when he ate, how much/often he refluxed, and a description of every diaper (wet/dirty. color, how much on a scale of 1-5 (1=dirty poots, 5=Holy Cow how did it now blow out?  :wink: )  It really helped me coorelate what I ate to John's problems. We were able to see a pattern of dairy, chocolate, and some soy intolerances in him.
carolyn
John's mommy :-)

Offline arclarc

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Lets talk poop!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 19:06:20 pm »
I agree with the journal.  we were in a similar situation and by keeping a journal were able to disover that our ds was allergic to diary (any amount I ate was to much - I even had to switch what kind of bread I ate) We also found that he was allergic to chicken.  No one has really heard of an allergy to chicken, so it took a while to find.  You might also find something really strange that is a triger.

I also went on an elimination diet, but it takes several weeks for each item to clear your system and then his.

good luck!

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Lets talk poop!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 19:07:11 pm »
Hi Clair

I kept dairy to a minimum before Liv was diagnosed, when it was just a hunch. Even though she was breastfed the milk in my tea and breakfast cereal was enough to keep her eczema apparent. Two weeks after cutting it out totally, on advice from the hospital, the eczema vanished and has not been back since.

hth
Sara