Author Topic: Introducing wheat  (Read 1474 times)

Offline arclarc

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Introducing wheat
« on: October 16, 2005, 22:25:51 pm »
My 13 mos. old ds has a few food sensitivities, so far: chicken, dairy, barley.  He may also be sensitive to Pasta (made with Durum Semolina & Jerusalem artichoke flour). We are going to a food allergist at the end of November.  However we have been advised to try wheat in the mean time.

We were going to try adding wheat germ to his AM feed.  Does anyone know what or how to try wheat?

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Introducing wheat
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 19:02:28 pm »
You could try him with some bread or some sort of wheat breakfast cereal. Here we have a breakfast cereal called weetabix so something like that may be an option.

hth
Sara

Offline evanskimberley

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
Introducing wheat
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 07:31:28 am »
DD has a slight intolerance to wheat. I introduced it at 9 mo but she got constipated so i took her off it for 2 months.
She's fine with small amount of bread, pasta and biscuits. She can only tolerate brown bread though so I'd start with that.
Kimberley

Offline arclarc

• Showing Appreciation 4
Introducing wheat
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 20:51:47 pm »
Thank you so much for the reply.  I found weetabix, but it is a really long, large, crumbly cereal.  Is that the kind you tried, or do they make other kinds?  It looks like it might be a bit of a choking hazard?

We tried a tiny bit of bagle and he ate that ok.  He didn't really eat enough to know if it will cause a problem.  We will try a bit of brown bread and see.

How much of something does he need to eat to know if he will have a reaction?

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Introducing wheat
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 21:14:59 pm »
Hi there

sorry I should have given you more detail on the weetabix. When you mix it wih milk (we use rice milk cos of Liv's milk allergy) it goes really soft and squidgy (more so the more milk you add). It sort of goes the consistency of porridge.

With regards to the how much how long issue, start with small amounts and just keep increasing with ds's appetite. Don't force at any stage as sometimes dislike is linked to it menaing it hurts.

Let us know ho wyou get on.

Sara

Offline evanskimberley

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
Introducing wheat
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 21:42:49 pm »
DD intolerance shows after a few weeks, its as if she can have so much then her body can't cope and she gets constipated. her motions on't go hard, they are still quite soft, but she strains and has difficulty getting them out. She also looses her appetite.
Not sure of symptons of severe allergic reactions, sorry.
Kimberley

Offline arclarc

• Showing Appreciation 4
Introducing wheat
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 22:59:49 pm »
Livvismum:  Thanks for the clarification.  That makes much more sense.  Hee hee, silly me.

We have tried wheat off and on for a few days and things seem to be ok.  I am not sure it is enough quanity to really tell.  We will keep an eye out for constipation though. 

Thank you for the responses.