Author Topic: ?Time to wean 14 month old  (Read 1374 times)

Offline BekD

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
?Time to wean 14 month old
« on: October 17, 2005, 00:08:29 am »
Hi there,

I posted this on the weaning board but haven't recieved any responses so maybe put it in the wrong place?

My 14 mo old boy seems to be losing interest in the breast. I currently offer the breast first thing in the morning and before bed. If he asks in the afternoon, I'll let him have some. He'll still drink for a few minutes upon waking, rarely asks for it and has 1-2 sucks (ie nothing!) before bed.

I am happy to wean now- my goal was 12 months (even though it will be a bit sad- the end of an era!) but I just wanted to make sure he is getting enough milk/calcium/fluids from other sources. I am pretty confident he is, but just interested in other opinions.

-about 200mL at breakfast (on cereal, and have been giving him a drink of milk at this time to prepare him for weaning).
-cheese for morning tea
-200mL at afternoon tea
-yoghurt at some point
-seems to drink at least 300mL water as well

I was thinking I'd drop the evening feed first (as he pretty much has himself) and go from there.

Any thoughts? WHen have others stopped breast feeding and how did you feel?

Bek

annamum

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 00:35:06 am »
I think his milk intake looks OK to me. If you think you would like him to have more dairy, you could try smoothies, most children love them and they are tasty, too. I make some for myself and Anna, and she adores them, we don't add any sugar, just fruits and milk (I actually use soy milk).

Well, anyway, weaning is a process that usually takes time, actually we start weaning with offering first solid food. If your lo is ready, and from what you wrote it seems he may be, I would drop the evening feed first and see how it goes from there. Observe him to make sure he is comfortable with that, offer some new part of an evening routine to compensate for a lost feed/close time together.

It may take time for him to be ready to drop another feed, the morning one, and if you are not in a hurry, don't rush him. In my opinion, gentle weaning is the best for a child.

Well, this actually comes from a woman who hasn't weaned yet her child  :wink:, so bear in mind, my advice is based on what I read and how I would do it probably  :lol:.

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 00:51:13 am »
When Grace weaned at 12 months, the pediatrician said a lower milk intake was ok. It can take breastfed babies a while to want/like milk. She took 4-6 oz, plus a yogurt. Slowly, she began drinking more milk. I tried to give her other liquids, like water or watered-down juice.

Max is still nursing at 15 months.  :D  Although he sounds like yours, not very interested. I usually pump once a day, and he will nurse 1-2 times. We are going to give up the bed time feed when he gets rid of his cold and the morning one probably shortly after that. He just isn't interested. I might keep pumping a while, I know he will drink it and how good it is for him. (My 2.5 yr old still drinks ebm when I have extra.)

HTH and good luck! The weaning process can be harder (hormonally) on mom than it is on baby. If you need a {hug} you can always come to this forum for one!  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline BekD

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 04:24:41 am »
Thanks ladies,

I really do think that finishing up breast feeding will be harder on me than on Caleb! :(

Do you know how much milk toddlers need to drink?

Bek

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 19:00:41 pm »
My doctor said to let Grace drink to thirst. I left a water sippy out all the time, and asked her if she wanted a drink occasionally. With meals, I gave her milk. Her intake increased, and around 2 yrs it was up to 16 oz + per day.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

annamum

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 22:30:26 pm »
I think 20 oz (aproximately 500 ml) would be optimal.