Author Topic: total sleep 12 hrs daily ... enough??  (Read 2802 times)

Offline Hunter & Sithia's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 81
total sleep 12 hrs daily ... enough??
« on: October 17, 2005, 02:03:30 am »
Hi there all.

I've been thinking about Hunter's sleeping, and am not really worried, just curious.

Hunter has been on one nap for a while now, and generally sleeps about 2 hrs or so for his nap.  He goes to bed by 8:00 pm, and even when I try to put him down earlier, he doesn't fall asleep until at least 8:00.  He generally wakes up at 6am, on the dot.  He used to get up at 7, but for the last 3 weeks or so, it's been 6 am for him.
This happens to have coincided with me going back to work, and the first 2 weeks back, I was dayshift from 8am to 1pm (only part time right now ... lol), but I didn't leave until he was up for a 1/2 hour.

So, the question is, is 12 hours total sleep between the nap and night time sleep enough?  He's not crabby, except if hungry.  Sometimes after his nap he's a bear to deal with, but as I'm at work, I don't mind.  Also, we've tried to extend naps with NO SUCCESS at all.

Does my going back to work have anything to do with this new development, or am I looking for trouble?

One last thought, DH is like this too.  He sleeps relatively little compared to me with no ill effects.

TIA, and any thoughts will be welcome!!
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 03:21:33 am »
I wish I knew the answer to that question.   Everything I have read says babies our lo age need 13-14 hours of sleep per day.  This weekend we were really busy and Lindsey only got one nap per day starting on Friday and each day the nap got shorter and shorter.  So she got her usual 13+ hours on Friday with a good 2 hr 15 min nap, and then yesterday and today she was between 12 and 13 hours total with shorter nap. A one  and a half hour nap on Sat. and a 1 hour 15 min nap today.   I think I am going to go back to trying two naps per day until her one year check up on the 31st and see what her ped says.  She has not been to fussy considering the lost nap but I am like you it just does not seem like the amount she is getting is enough.  And today she woke up really fussy like she was still tired.  She would not settle until I gave her a snack so I am not sure if she was still that tired or if she was just hungry when she woke as she did not eat a good lunch.  I even breastfed her upon awakening thinking that would help but she did not calm until after I gave her something to eat.   What time does Hunter take his nap?  I have been putting lindsey down this weekend at 2:00 so maybe that is too late in the day.  I just don't want to put her down too soon after eating b/c she usually will poop after eating lunch.  It is hard to push lunch ealry too because she eats breakfast between 9 and 930.   
Sorry for rambling on.  If only we really knew the answers.  I met a lady today that said her baby did not nap at all after 4 months and that he slept 12 hours at night.  Her ped said he just gets all the sleep he needs at night.  I guess every baby is different and hopefully when given the opportunity to sleep they will get the sleep they need.   Sorry for having more questions instead of answers.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline matt&chris mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 08:06:34 am »
I've read they should sleep longer but Chris never has. Chris is 13 months. He has slept a maximum of 12 hours a few times but mostly its between 10 and 11 hours in a 24 hour period for at least the last 6 months. I have mentioned it to his doctor who basically said I couldn't make him sleep any longer if that was all he would sleep. At his one year check up she told me to limit his day time sleep in order to ensure he slept at night since he wasn't going to sleep longer than 10 hours.

Minerva

Offline matt&chris mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 08:06:46 am »
I've read they should sleep longer but Chris never has. Chris is 13 months. He has slept a maximum of 12 hours a few times but mostly its between 10 and 11 hours in a 24 hour period for at least the last 6 months. I have mentioned it to his doctor who basically said I couldn't make him sleep any longer if that was all he would sleep. At his one year check up she told me to limit his day time sleep in order to ensure he slept at night since he wasn't going to sleep longer than 10 hours.

Minerva

Offline matt&chris mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 08:07:29 am »

Minerva

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 16:44:36 pm »
Lynne,

He takes his afternoon nap just after lunch, and sometimes can't finish his lunch as he's so tired.  I usually give him lunch now around 11:30-11:45, and he's done by noon.

Last week we had a late lunch due to visitors, and he slept from 1pm until 3:45, however, he was CRANKY and a fuss pot all afternoon for DH.  He cried for an hour over nothing, and was crying when I got home from work.  He cuddled with me for a bit, but fussed the rest of the evening (about an hour and a half) until he went to bed.

He also recently started to refuse the night feed of baby cereal altogether, but isn't drinking more milk.  He does eat like a piggie during the day though,   :lol:  so I'm not worried about his calorie intake.

I'll talk to his doctor next week when we go for his 12 month appt.

thanks!!
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

Offline matt&chris mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 16:28:06 pm »
Beth,

What did your doctor say about only sleeping 12 hours?

Minerva

Offline sandraorion

• Showing Appreciation 93
  • Albuquerque, NM
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 16:41:11 pm »
Adrian has been sleeping for about 11-12 hours total last several months. When he was younger, he also averaged about two hours below the norm. I guess, that's just his nature.
Sandra, mom to Adrian - July 30th, 2004 and Nina December 4th, 2007

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2005, 03:20:55 am »
He didn't seem to be bothered (sp??) by it.  Hunter is so active, even when he's exhausted, that it seems like that is just the way he is.  Interestingly enough though, a couple of days ago DH picked me up from work with Hunter (of course) and as a result, he fell asleep at 7pm.  He woke at his regular 6am, which brought his total up for the night to 11hrs, and he also had a 2 hr nap.  I would put him to bed earlier to see how it goes, but I don't get hime from work until 7:15 or 7:30, and I really want to put him to bed myself after having time to cuddle with him, KWIM??

Thanks for the input ladies, I'll try to keep you posted  :roll:  :oops:
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2005, 12:11:57 pm »
The recommended amount of sleep is 14 hours for his age but, obviously, there are babies that do fine with less sleep.  Your little guy seems well adjusted, is eating well and is pretty happy most of the time (can't blame a person for getting grumpy when he's hungry ;-)).

I would definitely not worry about it, especially since you mentioned that your dh is the same way.  (I personally would just be a grumpy mom if 6 AM was ds's typical wake-up time, as I'm not a morning person, even though I go to bed early these days.  :lol:)
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 01:45:25 am »
Georgia,
Truth be known I usually fall in and out of naps in the early am while watching ds play.  Fortunately he's really quite independant and will wake me when he poops ... lol ... or needs some attention.

Thanks for reassuring me.  As an update, recently he's started to have 3+ hrs naps in the afternoon  :shock: .

Talk to you later
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

Offline GG

• Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 16:05:34 pm »
Whoa!  Wonder if he's hybernating in preparation for a major growth spurt?   :wink:  :D

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 03:07:53 am »
PLEEEEEASE, NOOOOOOOOOOO!   :shock:   He's eating me out of house and home as it is!  Can't he just stay this size forever ... with bigger hips so the pants don't fall off though ...  sigh.  Guess not eh?

That is a thought though.  Other than the 3wk, 3 month etch growth spurts, when do they usually come after they turn a year??  Never thought to ask before now.

:D  :D  :D
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

Offline GG

• Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2005, 03:25:49 am »
Not as often, obviously.  I just look at what clothing manufacturers put out ther.  After 12 months they jump to 18 months, so I'm thinking it's sort of a slow progression.

...though most manufacturers are bogus.  My DS fits into 12 mo clothes already.  He fit out of the 6-9 mo at 6-7 months, and I don't think he's that big.  I think he's only average on the length (or is just over 28 inches for 8 mo on the long side?)

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2005, 03:51:17 am »
I haven't a clue either.  People keep telling me that Hunter "is a big boy" when I think he's only average at best.  He's in 12 month pants, but fits into an 18 month top well.  He's got short legs like daddy and grandpa.

The sizing is misleading.  It depends where they are made, and what the manufacturers see as the "ideal" ? month old.

:D
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

Offline GG

• Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2005, 03:55:43 am »
Yup! Carter's makes the clothes smaller!  Such deceit!  :wink: