Author Topic: teething -> colds -> ear infections and poor eating  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Andrea J

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
teething -> colds -> ear infections and poor eating
« on: October 17, 2005, 05:51:44 am »
Hopefully some one else has experienced this or is it just a coincidence ?
My 17 month old son seems to be going through the following cycle.  He gets cold/flu symptoms a high temp, goes off his food and then bang a week later he cuts a new tooth.  He actually gets so sick he gets a high temperature and has had 2 ear infections in the last month.  Once he has cut the tooth he seems to eat better for a week or more then the next cycle comes around.  I am currently at the no eating phase (ie will eat a few spoonfuls at a meal then shakes his head and says "no more"), he still has fluid in his ears and a runny nose (no ear infection) and one tooth has popped through this morning. 
Of course with the ear infections we have had some terrible nights when he will scream for up to 45- 60 mins even after Painstop.  I feel like the poor little thing has been living on antibiotics, pain relief and cold and flu meds for the last couple of months !!
Has anyone experienced this with teething ie does a child's immunity change ?? my mum told me that I used to get a chest infection when I cut teeth as toddler and the family GP used to laugh at her !
thanks
Andrea

Offline Isom'smom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Tennessee
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 13:29:41 pm »
Yes, we have been there.  They are more suseptible to germs when they are teething.  It's just how it goes.  Isom has been doped up on motrin and tylenol so much since he started cutting teeth.  Occassionally we get a week without medicine.  I know it's tough, but it only goes on so long. 

Crystal

Offline Khyan & Sahria's mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 13:44:37 pm »
Yep right there with you !

He is sick/teething heaps more than he is ever well at the moment  :cry:

It is vicious cycle and we haven't been able to break it as yet !

Our household is just so tired as we are up all the time trying to make him more comfortable.

I hope that things get better for you really soon
Michaela
Khyan & Sahria's Mummy

Offline cindy_30

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 14:14:07 pm »
My DS just got diagnosed with 2 ear infections and it's just after having a bad cold.  I know EXACTLY what you're going through.  He's up for 2-3 hours a night, sometimes crying or sometimes just wanting to be cuddled.  It's tough and it all happened the night before I was supposed to go back to work.  My boss didn't seem too impressed, but it's not like I planned it.

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 19:30:53 pm »
We also have had the same experience.  When ds is sick he will not eat much FOOD!  He also tends to lose weight while not eating.  Its very frustrating during these times.  I feel for you. :!:
Julie

Offline Andrea J

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 12:44:53 pm »
thanks everyone for your replies.  He is a lot better this week and is eating again now too !! Apparantly he still has some fluid in his ear (had another check up with the Dr) but not infected so we just have to avoid another cold !!
I know it's frustrating, I just have to tell myself he will eat more when he gets better and is feeling better.  Poor little guy I think his teeth really bother him.
thanks again
Andrea