Author Topic: Some Progress w/ Dummy Weaning But Still Waking Up!!  (Read 1115 times)

Offline i-wei

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 24
Some Progress w/ Dummy Weaning But Still Waking Up!!
« on: October 18, 2005, 22:47:52 pm »
LO is 9.5mths.  He started sleeping through the night when he was 3mths.  At 6mths he started to wake up frequently during the night.

In the beginning DS would scream in his sleep.   We tried soothing him but nothing worked so we ended up waking him to snap him out of it.  Later, we didn't need to wake him anymore and giving him his favourite teddy bear did the trick.  After a while the teddy no longer worked and we resorted to using the dummy.  We've been using the dummy ever since to help him go to sleep at night and when he wakes up during the night (between 1-5 times per night).  He doesn't need the dummy for naps and goes down awake/drowsy without any fuss.

For the past 2wks, I've been trying to wean DS from the dummy as I think the night-time wakings may now be linked to him waking and wanting the dummy.  It's going quite well and now he will go down without much fuss.  If he does fuss, 5-10mins of pat/shush will settle him.   Our problem is that this has made no difference to the night-time wakings.  When he wakes during the night I am no longer giving him the dummy but will pat/shush instead.  Sometimes the second my hand touches his head he settles down, other times he may need me to pat/shush for 10mins.  Generally, it takes about 3-5mins.  Is my pat/shush a prop now??

I can't see any 'routine' to his night wakings.  Basically, it can happen at any time and for any number of times during the night.

Pls pls help.  I'm feeling quite low about his now as I thought that once I had weaned him off the dummy our problem would be solved!!   :?

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 23:06:28 pm »
Keep going for a week the way you are & if it hasn't resolved, then there is another issue (like seperation anxiety going on) & we can look at other suggestions. reverseing a habit can take a week or 2 to see results
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline i-wei

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 09:36:56 am »
Hello Kate

Our boys have the same name!!  But we spell our's Aidan.

Thanks for your reply.  I'll follow your advice and keep going for another week.  Fingers crossed! 

I'll let you know how I get on.

Bye