Author Topic: Dropping feeds when weaning  (Read 1278 times)

Offline kw

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Dropping feeds when weaning
« on: October 17, 2005, 14:57:24 pm »
Hi,

My daughter is five and a half months and I have just started introducing solids.  Our current schedule is:

7:00 feed
11:00 feed and solids
15:00 feed and solids
19:30 feed
22:30 df

Not sure how much she drinks as she is breastfed in the day but takes 7oz at 19:30 and 3-5 oz in the df.

I know that milk is important for quite a while yet - but when do you start reducing the milk feeds?  Do I drop the 11 and 15:00 ones first? (as this is when I feed her solids). Will she tell me when she wants to drop them?  Or do I increase her solid intakes so that they drop off (however if you breastfeed first then how do you reduce the milk feed to increase solids?).

Also, what age does this happen?  I don't want to reduce milk feeds too early or increase solids too early..

Thanks very much in advance for any help anyone can give me!

Karen

Offline piggywig

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 15:02:18 pm »
Hi. I'd be interested to know when to drop the dream feed too. My boy is just over 6 months, been on three small meals a day for two weeks (porridge, lunch and pureed fruit for tea). In addition to this he has four bottles and a light dream feed. I've been wondering whether it's worth stopping it. But also dread those night wakings again!  :lol:

Offline piggywig

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 15:03:59 pm »
Meant to say stop the Dream feed, I think you have to continue the dat time milk feeds for a while yet althought different books tell you different things don't they?