Author Topic: Screamin' Feedin'  (Read 1646 times)

Offline scarlettO

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 17, 2005, 16:04:23 pm »
I'm using this site for the first time, and I'm hoping someone out there can offer solutions or helpful ideas for our situation.  I have a 5 week old baby we are breastfeeding and for the last 2-3 weeks she has began screaming every time she feeds.  She only feeds 5-7 minutes at a time.  Latch is fine, no medical abnormalities.  Midwife, doctor, public health nurse, and breastfeeding people all have no real ideas what may be going on.  Doctor thinks colicky...we disagree as does not scream really, only when feeds.  Has developed some sort of nipple aversion so we are now only feeding when really wants to and for short periods and ends before cries.  Not sure if anyone has any advice to offer.  She only sleeps 2-3 hour blocks (may be normal for her).  Evenings are regularly upsetting for her as she gets fussy.  Anyway, just looking for ideas.  Much appreciated.  Ask questions if you have any.  Oh by the way, also screams bottle feeding (tried just out of curiousity a few times).  Big pacifier fan.  That's all for now.  Thanks.

Offline Luke-n-Me

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Screamin' Feedin'
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 16:14:10 pm »
You may want to read my announcement in the bottle feeding forum called "Dysphagia/Fussy Feeders..." or something like that.  The same goes for breastfed babies I just posted it under colic/reflux and bottle feeding boards.  See if this gives you any help.  Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Nancy

Luke (4-2-03)
Annika (8-30-05)

Offline scarlettO

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 16:27:53 pm »
Update:

Well, apparently I've been told by the public health nurse that our baby is a "spirited baby" (the new PC term).  She still is very fussy when feeding, unless we catch her while she's still half asleep and sneak a feeding in.  She hasn't gained any weight over the last week.  Every once in awhile she'll have a good feed (usually in front of the nurse...), but evenings are still quite difficult and early mornings.  We're likely misreading cues from her, but at this point we're not sure what she wants.  I've read your suggestions that you recommended, unfortunately nothing is working right now.  Hopefully this is just a phase and we just have to work through it, but it is hard to watch a screaming baby and not be able to successfully console her.  Back to the trenches we go.  Good luck to everyone else.

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Screamin' Feedin'
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 00:41:59 am »
I'm really sorry you're having such a rough time of it!  You mentioned that she only sleeps for 2-3 hrs at a time...do you mean day and night?  How long does she tend to be awake? Remember that at 5 weeks, she probably can't tolerate more than 45 min to an hour of awake time without having a meltdown. If she's overtired, she might also not eat well too.  Have you tried cutting out certain foods in your diet, just to rule that out? Like dairy? I'm sort of grasping at straws, I know... :(

What position are you feeding in and are you sure your supply is ok (not too little or too strong a let down)? Some peope have to swaddle their lo tightly before feeding to really let them relax - no distractions too.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
Screamin' Feedin'
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 03:13:17 am »
Here are a couple of links to kellymom.com with some info that will hopefully be helpful.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/fussy-while-nursing.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/index.html
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline fleadle

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 08:11:06 am »
I had the same problem with Immy at about the same age...it really upset me, I found it quite tiring & I nearly gave up BF , but persevered.

I thought because she was waking & crying that she must be hungry, turned out that she wasn't hungry every time, but overtired & struggling to sleep properly.

I found that trying to get someone else to pick her up & cuddle her back to sleep worked quite well because she couldn't smell me or my milk.

I also stopped letting her fall asleep in the lounge or on me & made an effort to put her in a quiet room in her cot to sleep. Very difficult when they are so cute & huggable.

This might not be the same problem for you but it's an idea.

Keep up the BF even when it gets difficult, it really is worth it & does get heaps easier as you & baby get to know each other better.