Author Topic: Day After Overstimulation  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Day After Overstimulation
« on: October 17, 2005, 23:34:59 pm »
Not sure where to post this - so picked this section...

Is it normal for my lo to have a bad day the day after a very stimulating one? It seems this normally happens - she is cranky and fussy and her reflux is aggravated and she will cry in her sleep the day after. For example, yesterday we had a family function and she slept less than usual and had a ton of people in her face and lots of lights, etc. She seemed to have a great time and was smiling/cooing tons, but today ...

She is 9.5 weeks old...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 23:45:22 pm »
its defiitely possible to have a negative effect the next day.  i always stuck with the idea that if you have a busy day make sure the next one is at home and low key... try not to have 2 crazy days in a row.

maybe next time you can try to balance it more.  although she is cooing and smiling she still needs to have calm time and stick to having naps, etc Quite often babies and toddlers would happily carry on for ages if we did not intervene and tell them to have a nap, etc  i know it is tempting to pass a baby around and let everyone have a cuddle, but i have always found that this is overwhelming and way too overstimulating for babies even if it does not make them cry out in protest. it just wipes them out and is too draining. 

For my girls i always had a 2 person limit per awake time.  some might think that is being mean to friends or family, but i knew the results would be better for me and my little girl so stuck to it.  after the next nap she would be refreshed and ready to greet another family member....just my 2 cents  :wink:
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 06:46:45 am »
Thanks - that makes sense. It wasn't even that so many people held her - but lots of people were in her face smiling and trying to get her to smile back... And then she missed most of her mid afternoon nap - she and we tried to get it in but we were at my sister in law's house and there were too many distractions - people talking, dog barking, new smells, etc.

Hopefully she'll be more back to normal the second day after
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01