Author Topic: Anyone BF and FF???  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Leosmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 18, 2005, 01:11:50 am »
I decided to both BF and FF my 7 week old.  Right now I am FF only at night and his first feed in the morning is BF.  Other than that, it's random through the day.  Anyone have suggestions on how to make it more consistent during the day??  Should I BF once in the afternoon, or when I feel full or when he's extra whiney or should I have a set time, like 3pm everyday will be a BF instead of FF???  TIA!!!!

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Anyone BF and FF???
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 01:30:20 am »
Your body will accept the situation better if you can set up a "schedule" It will know when to make milk. Although doing both FF and BF is sometimes a "slippery slope" as your milk supply will not keep up with baby's demand, and you will slowly give more and more formula when you can't satisfy him. Some mothers can go on doing both for months, and some can't.

Try to nurse as many feeds as you can, and consider pumping for the bottle feeds? Breastmilk really is good nutrition! And so much cheaper!  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
Anyone BF and FF???
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 01:52:21 am »
I think you need to decide how much breastmilk you want him to have.  Your body will only supply as much as your lo  demands.  Is he latching on ok and does he seem satisfied after breastfeeding?  Are you doing both because you have to go back to work at some point or so you can have a break at times?  Either way I understand just curious.  I think I may try both when my next one comes along but I do plan on doing mostly breastmilk.  So, if you want him to have more breastmilk than formula you may want to consider breastfeeding him more during the day and then perhaps the formula at night but you will need to pump at least once in the evening when he is getting the formula or right before bed.  This is to ensure your milk is being demanded to keep up with supply and also to help keep you from getting uncomfortable from engorgement.   If your breasts are allowed to get too full it can make it harder for him to latch on and it also increases your risk of mastitis and plugged ducts.  Hope this helps.   Whatever you decide to do the most of it is good that you have decided to give him some breastmilk.  Any amount of breastmilk is better than none. :wink:
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

annamum

Anyone BF and FF???
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 03:50:21 am »
I agree with previous posters. You probably should have some plan. First, it will be easier on your boobs to produce at certain times of a day, rather than any time randomly. Second, you may end up soon giving him more and more formula as you won't remember when you were supposed to nurse and when to offer bottle.

Breastfeeding is a demand and supply thing. The more you supplement the lower your supply eventually will be. You can keep a balance if you are determined to do it. The best bet would be to have some plan, and stick to it. If you skip nursing and offer a bottle, try to skip next bottle feeding and nurse instead. I think, we have here quite a few moms who were able to breastfeed and offer a bottle of formula in the evening and did great. Just be prepared for growth spurts, if you supplement during them, your supply won't catch up with your baby's new demand.

Offline mthyne

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Anyone BF and FF???
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 04:54:25 am »
I have an 11-week old that I BF and FF.  The other ladies are right, your body will not keep up and eventually it will lead to more and more FFs.  However, this is what works for me (I've been doing it since he was 6 1/2 weeks) because of our schedule and other child.  You want to be on a schedule during the day, because your body will produce milk at that time.  I BF at night feedings and 2x/day, but I do supplement one night feed with formula b/c I don't think I produce as much anymore.  I've noticed that we do not go as long between feedings after BF versus FF.  I figure the BF will only last a couple more months--once some solid foods come into the picture it will probably be done.  So be prepared for that and definitely give your body a schedule.
Melissa
Mom to Penelope and Alex
er