Author Topic: 14 wk old won't nap or sleep  (Read 1013 times)

Offline kmetli

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 18, 2005, 21:54:32 pm »
I have a 14 week old daughter that until about 2 weeks ago give or take was sleeping until 5:30 am and then going back to sleep until 9am and taking 3, 1.5 to 2 hr naps during the day. She then started waking at 1-3-and then 5:30am again. At 1am I was just giving her the paci to get her out of the habit , then tried feeding her thinking it was the growth spurt,but she still wakes 2-3 times a night, the first time always at 1am. I now cannot get her to take more than a 45 min nap and she then becomes extremely overtired by bedtime. He bedtime was 9-10pm with no problems and now she becomes tired at 8, which is fine, I put her down a little early now, not a problem. We recently tried to wean her from the paci because I was convinced it was the paci disturbing her sleep and last night caved in and gave it to her, I know what a jerk am I after 6 days of no paci, but she had been crying for hours and was so overtired(from no consistent naps). I came to the conclusion after a day of observation it was not the paci's fault. I have tried today to give her the paci again after she wakes up but she is wide awake and won't go back to sleep. Im confused, please help.

Offline bsparki73

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
14 wk old won't nap or sleep
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 23:26:23 pm »
In Tracy's sleep interview, there's a section where she talks about babies who used to sleep at night but start waking. She says it can be because they're needing more calories. Perhaps try cluster feeding her in the evening to get more calories into her during the day? Have a look at the interview though, it's a great read...it's an 'announcment' in this nap section! She also talks about what to do if you're having multiple problems (ie. day sleep & night sleep problems) & which to solve first (i think it's night....once she's sleeping better at night, the day sleeps may follow?). I still can't get my DS to sleep more than 45 mins in the day...he sleeps all night but that's only started in the last couple of weeks since we weaned him off night feed & dummy but he's a bit older!

Offline kmetli

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 16:19:05 pm »
Thank you for the insight. I think I will start giving her more calories during the day and see what happens. I also use a pacifier, in the crib only to help her get back to the napping is this going to become a problem? In the sleep interview Tracy said you could use a pacifier. She never wakes up upset so I figure see what happens. I never knew that 3-6 month olds had trouble sleeping through the day too! I am glad I am not the only one. Again thank you!

Kate