Author Topic: Baby gets very upset shopping  (Read 1263 times)

Offline FluffyG

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Baby gets very upset shopping
« on: November 04, 2005, 16:56:07 pm »
My son is five and half months old now, since he was about 3 months old we have had a problem taking him out shopping. As soon as we get to where the trollies are parked at Tesco he starts crying, even if I hold him in my arms and dont put him in the trolley. I've tried talking to him, singing his favourite soothing song as I walk around holding him, showing him different things on the shelves to distract him, but he just gets more and more upset until I have to take him back to the car and sit with him there while my husband finishes the shopping. I thought maybe he would get better as he got older but that isnt the case.  I'm quite concerned about it as none of the other babies (around his age) that we know are like that. Has anyone else had this happen with their baby? and if so please can you give me some advice on what to do, I would really appreciate it.

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 19:21:18 pm »
Hi

What kind of trolley do you use (i.e. one that he lays in or one that he sits in?) and what's the lighting and ceiling like.

My DS hated the big tall ceilings in some shops and the fluorescent lights when he was in one of the lie back seats.  Instead I would use my baby carrier so he was facing towards me and not looking up into the lights.
Jenny

Offline sa

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 19:42:24 pm »
how about taking your own stroller? or put him in the car seat then put him in the trolley? i think some supermarkets even do trolley that can fit a car seat in.

do you think it's because he is tired and want a nap at the time? may be try different time of the day?
mum to samuel 25JAN05
textbook/angel baby

Offline FluffyG

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 20:09:58 pm »
Thank you johnosmum and sa for your posts :)

Taking on board your suggestions I took him to M&S (ie trying him in his carrier and in a different shop with lower lighting) in his baby carrier, unfortunately as soon as I walked in with him his little mouth turned down and he started crying and didnt stop until I left. He also did the same thing in the doctors surgery waiting room so I am beginning to think that its the crowds of people he doesnt like, maybe that combined with the unfamiliar places is just all too much for him.

sa - good thought about varying the routines unfortunately we have already tried varying the time we take him, usually making sure he is well rested and fed but it doesnt seem to make much difference.

I wonder if maybe this sensitivity is a trait of a 'touchy baby'?