Author Topic: 9 mnth old only sleeps for 40 mins  (Read 1158 times)

Offline MumofH

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 19, 2005, 01:13:12 am »
Hey there,

My 9mnth old (well, in 4 days) seems to only ever sleep 40mins at a time - one nap in morning and one in afternoon. If I am lucky, he'll occasionally give me a break and go for a full hour (??). He's on a routine, and I always try to observe his tired signs and put him to bed when he begins rubbing eyes or becomes grumpy. It's quite hard to hold him out until bedtime if he's only ever had two short naps, but I try not to let him have a third catnap or his whole bedtime is out.

During the day I have experimented different approaches:  stretch his wake period from the usual 3 hours to 4; or put him to bed the instance I notice the tired signs (even if he's only been awake for 2.5hrs). The only time he ever sleeps for a longer period is after swimming lessons when he's obviously exhausted. He's a good sleeper at night, I put him down for 7/7.30pm and he goes until 5am (where I am currently in the process of re-settling him, rather than breastfeeding him - with alot of success so far...it sometimes only takes 10 mins to get him back to sleep). After re-settling him, he'll sleep until 6.45-7am most mornings.

This morning he slept for his usual 40mins and I have spent the last hour attempting to re-settle by tucking him in, giving him his dummy and laying my hand on him for a minute or so until he is quiet and then I leave the room. I don't re-enter until he is properly crying. At first he just played around and whined, then he fell asleep but only for 15 mins.

He has been in a habit of doing the whole 40min thing since he was a few months old, but he usually would re-settle by himself and go for at least a second sleep cycle. Nowadays it's a miracle if he can go beyond the 40min mark (and don't get me started about when he wakes after only 30 mins!!)

Anyone experienced a similar scenario and has some suggestions? I read that wake to sleep can actually have the reverse effects on an older, sociable baby and could wake them up as opposed to put them back to sleep.

cheers
Nadia

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
9 mnth old only sleeps for 40 mins
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 01:36:09 am »
How does he fall asleep at the beginning of his nap? Does he fall asleep independently? And how is his behaviour during the day?

Thanks,
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline MumofH

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 00:27:20 am »
He falls asleep with a dummy, but I notice that he has usually spat it out by the time he is asleep. I have noticed that he plays with the sheet just before falling asleep, must be a comfort thing(?). I usually tuck him in and leave the room and only return if he's quite upset. I don't normally have a hard time getting him to sleep for that first sleep cycle (he normally welcomes it), it's just getting him to go longer than the 40 mins.

As for his mood, he wakes up happy and playing in his cot. Occasionally I see him rubbing his eyes - a sign he hasn't had enough sleep and I try to get him to go for another cycle but not with much success. I find it hard to hold him out until bedtime if he has only had 2 x 40 min sleeps and I am not keen to introduce a late catnap if possible as it seems to push his bedtime back, but I have still been prone to putting him done for one when he is particularly tired and whingey.

thanks
Nadia