Author Topic: naps difficult at 12 weeks  (Read 1124 times)

Offline joannec

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
naps difficult at 12 weeks
« on: October 19, 2005, 06:00:40 am »
My DS is 12 weeks on 21/10 and has been on EASY since 6 weeks. He sleeps well at night and goes down independently after our wind down ritual. This used to be the case for day naps too until a week ago. He will often go down for the first cycle and only sometimes gets himself back to sleep for another 45 mins. He is completely inconsolable with my help trying to extend his naps. I have been doing PU/PD as Shh/pat winds him up. I have been extending his feed times to not less thsn 3 hours and he is more efficient than ever these days (about 5-10mins max.) or he just isn't as interested. Certainly not wanting to eat more or more often - my initial thoughts due to ?? growth spurt. B/F and no supply issues. He cannot manage to stay up for longer than 60 mins in total including feed and nappy change and often less, otherwise he gets very tired and upset. HELP. This is a complete change for him and I dare say me. I don't want to do accidental parenting at this difficult time but can't see the forest for the trees at the moment. Below was his usual routine:
E -5am,7.30 -8, 11ish, 2ish, 5, top up at 6, 2am (sometimes drops this last one)

Cheers, Jo
Jo
DS - Noah born 29/7/05

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 07:50:38 am »
Hi jo,
I think what you are going through is developmental as my DS went through it too.  If I couldn't get nim back to sleep with pat/shh and he got very upset I would take him out of the situation for a few min untill I saw him getting tired (maybe sat him in his chair downstairs no entertainment) then as he would relax and look tired go back upstairs with the same wind down tecnique and try again.  I know this is not ideal but I found it was the only thing that prevented melt downs and I didn't want him to start resenting his bed/naptimes.

Keep trying pat/shh, I found patting alone worked well for my DS but only as he got older, I don't know exactly what happened just one day he didn't mind it as much as before.  In time he will co-operate with you extending his naps. just be patient stay away from accidental parenting and it will settle down.  It is developmental.

Offline milliesmaw

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 09:16:01 am »
Hi Jo - my ds is also coming up for 12 weeks and he is really fighting naps. He used to respond quite well to pat/ssh but it is getting more and more difficult. Did you find pu/pd worked well for you generally??

Jo!
Jo

Mum to Millie
4th November 2003
and Benjamin
31 July 2005

Offline joannec

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 09:53:21 am »
Hi,
PU/PD does help even though he's still little, i.e. not really recommended for < 3 months old. If I can't settle him in the cot with a hand on his shoulder or tummy, some reassuring words and/or shh shh, I use PU/PD. Ususally this goes well and I only have to PU 2 or 3 times tops. The awful nap monster that has invaded Noah saw me do it for a record 20 - 30 mins this afternoon but I only had to do it that nap time. So far, for the rest of the day he's been back to OK. I wonder how long this usually goes for, if it's a developmental thingy? I won't do the accidental parenting bit, so hopefully that won't extend the issue. I totally understand taking him out of the room etc, that whimpering at the end of a crying jag is a real heartbreaker and I too worry that some bad associations might be cooking. All suggestions very much appreciated as always.

Cheers, Jo
Jo
DS - Noah born 29/7/05