Author Topic: Tummy Time  (Read 75559 times)

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
Tummy Time
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2005, 13:44:25 pm »
Thanks for the information. My ds hates tummy time too.  I will work harder at helping him enjoy it, hopefully he won't break down like usual.  As soon as he is on his tummy, he starts to squirm and protest.  This info is great.  Thanks
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline ittybiddy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Tummy Time
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2005, 16:33:25 pm »
Hi!
I've been struggling to increase tummy time as well. Here's something new I tried this week that worked well... I put my DS on his tummy on the bed with his head right at the side of the bed. I sat on the floor next to the bed. He was so much happier being up where he could see more, particularly me. I've also put him on his tummy in the boppy pillow on the couch. Again, he was much happier being able to see more of what was going on around him.
Beth

Offline Cassiesmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2005, 17:29:29 pm »
Do you have a boppy pillow? That works wonders with my lo. SHe doesn't last more than 5 minutes but she's happy for that long. It's also ggo dfor feeding and propping her up to help her sit up. Does eveyone swaddle? She hates it. I tried over and over and she always escapes so i worry that she'll suffocate in the middle of the night. I tried swaddling with her arms free, she likes that a bit better.

Offline deenz

• Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2005, 08:19:46 am »
When do you 'do' tummy time?  Is it ok straight after a (milk) feed?

The well-child advisor suggested doing it before a feed (straight after waking) so that it helps get rid of any excess gas (out either end!) before eating.  But I usually forget to do it then.

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

Tummy Time
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2005, 08:46:33 am »
Dee, if she handles having tummy time after a feed I guess it would be ok, but it might make her "spill" and could be a bit uncomfortable on a full belly.  When Danielle was little I tended to do it after a small break and during nappy changing time.  Now that she's older with a long activity time I wait a while after a feed (usually she'll sit for a while) and then put her down on her tummy.  A few minutes before a feed though would be fine too if she's not starving and getting annoyed about it.

Offline Bea's Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
Tummy Time
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2006, 11:11:02 am »
Hi all

We had a talk by a physio during a mother's group session.  She said that TT does not have to mean laying the baby on the floor.  You could try holding the baby upright against your shoulder so he gets to practice holding his head up.  Alternatively, try laying her across your arm, face down (head at the elbow end, hand between his legs, if you see what i mean).  This has the same effect.  Both methods mean your baby can still feel and smell you, and might make him happier.

Also, when you're putting your baby on the floor, try putting a mirror in front of him.  Most babies love mirrors and it might distract him from realising he's on his tummy.

Hope this helps.
Anne (Mum of Beatrice, 01/03/2005)

Offline Idahomom

• -Jen-
  • Showing Appreciation 23
Re: Tummy Time
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2006, 22:34:41 pm »
My son also hated tummy time until he was able to gain a little control over his body (rolling over, creeping toward toys).  This all happened between 3-4 months.  He would tolerate it for less than a minute.  I tried to do small increments hoping it would add up at the end of the day.  Once he could coordinate his body he was off and playing.  He is 4 months yesterday and he spends upwards of 30 minutes per tummy time session.  I always include it in A so this is 3-4 times a day.

*ham and eggs: a day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig*

Offline emwith2

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2006, 23:14:00 pm »
Hi,

I was told by a Baby Health Care professional, the only reason to have tummy time was to tire them out so that they would have a better sleep.

It never worked for DS#1 but it did work for DS#2. 

Emilia (New South Wales, Australia)

Mum to Ayden   15/11/02 Spirited/ Slightly Grumpy
            Joshua  12/8/05 Mostly Angel Baby

Offline lisi's mum

• Showing Appreciation 155
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2006, 15:41:39 pm »
My DD (14 weeks old) hated TT until someone suggested putting a mirror infront of her, now she has a great time playing with her reflection and can last a good 20 minutes, sometimes even longer.
Katie

Offline chelseagmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2006, 15:55:01 pm »
My DD hated it too. She actually slept on her tummy from about 6 weeks but she hated play time tummy time. I think it might have been due to her reflux that she didn't like it. As soon as we had that under control, she loved tummy time! So I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep trying every now and then coz babies change their minds on a daily basis!
Hi Luisasmum, I read your "tummy time" post with interest when you said your dd slept on her tummy from about 6 weeks.  I'm a first time mum, baby is nearly 7 weeks old - sleeps fine on her tummy but can't get him to sleep on her back for more than 20-30 minutes.  I 'm scared to let her sleep on her tummy without watching her.  We have sleepless nights because she won't sleep on her back. This is my first post on BW, ot even sure I'm doing it right, but can you point me to any post/threads (what's the difference?) about sleeping on back.  Is sleeping on tummy at night a dangerous practice? Thanks. Jues.

Offline Idahomom

• -Jen-
  • Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2006, 19:47:30 pm »
Chelseagmom -
do you swaddle?  DS slept well on his back when swaddled, but when he bacame too active for the swaddle he started rolling over on his own ( 3 mo old).  His Ped said that if he could roll over on his own he was at a significantly decreased risk of SIDS. I still put him to bed on his back, but as soon as he hits the mattress he rolls over and goes to sleep on his own very well now, never sleeps on his back, but my lo is older, any other advice out there??

*ham and eggs: a day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig*

Offline Renee'sMum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2006, 03:23:26 am »
Hi!
I started TT proping my dd up on the nursing pillow.  Fits nice around her, helps prevent falling over, and can easily place something on the floor in front of her to look at.  I also had her lying on my tummy.  She liked that.  She now can lay on her tummy on her own, (she's 4 mo) occasionally rolls to back.  Still working on rolling over from back position.  Love the tip about putting your hand behind their feet to help with the crawling stage!  Gonna give that a try!
Cheryl
London, ON

Offline jamerdeb

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Jake
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2006, 12:08:45 pm »
thanks for the good advice.. I will try it..

Offline shanaz

• Shanaz
  • Showing Appreciation 20
  • Seren - the glamour girl!
    • Shanaz John - Childminder
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2006, 14:08:10 pm »
Hi

My DD is just over 2 weeks - when am I supposed to start tummy time?  I think it's a little early to start now, is it by week 4?

Thanks
Shanaz, Seren's Mum
Mummy:  Shanaz
Daddy:  Phil
Squirrel:  Seren

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2006, 22:31:10 pm »
Hi Shanaz! What a cutie you have!!!!

We put Natalie on her tummy from Day One (once we got home from the birthing center, anyway - they were less than thrilled with it...). She slept on her tummy (NOTE: this is a personal decision!) from the time she came home with us, and she spent lots of time every Awake period on her tummy. She did have reflux, so we'd keep her upright, in a bouncy chair once she could sit in it, for a while, and then on the floor she went. We'd sometimes also put her on our bed; we have a lightweight but firm quilt we use for summertime (as opposed to the wintertime poofy comforter) that was good for her to scootch herself forward on if we put our hands behind her feet, and on the floor she went on the naugahyde surface where we did the same thing.

FWIW, she was crawling on her hands and knees just before 5 months and is now walking independently all over the place (as of a few days ago), and she'll be one in a couple weeks. And when she had a nasty croupy cough over the winter and had to go in to the doctor for it (and spend SIX HOURS for nebulizers and shots  :(), even though she was clearly uncomfortable with the cough, she had 100% oxygen saturation, meaning she was getting more than enough oxygen - her respiratory system was in great shape! :)