Author Topic: Tummy Time  (Read 75526 times)

Offline AlisonS

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2006, 13:41:04 pm »
My DD (now 2) also hated tummy time and I gave up eventually. Once she was able to roll over onto her tummy she was not able to roll back easily and would wake us up frequently at night. I think that may have been avoided by persisting with tummy time.  Now with my DS (2months) I am persevering, he hates it too but is better if I have something for him to look at. Here is an good article from BBC news on the evidence in support of tummy time.
 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5128144.stm

Offline newmommyl

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2006, 23:09:53 pm »
thanks for the article.  i agree it's so important and do it at least twice a day--i want her to practice so that when she is able to roll over it isn't such a new uncomfortable position for her. we're also working on helping her getting from tummy to back so she doesn't get stuck in the wee hours of the night.    were your kids finer suckers at all?  do you think this is reason for concern or a pretty normal thing for babies?

Offline shanaz

• Shanaz
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 20
  • Seren - the glamour girl!
    • Shanaz John - Childminder
Re: Tummy Time
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2006, 07:27:25 am »
Hi newmommy and AlisonS

I agree that we should try & do it regularly. My DD will only do about 2/3 mins at the most, she hates it.  I try putting toys and myself at her head end to try & get her to look up but her head slowly sinks to the floor and then she just cries and drools on her mat!

Newmommy - my lo sucks her fingers, fists, muslin cloth, basically anything she can grab and put in there!  From the March/April 2006 babies thread that I'm on all the babies are doing it so it's totally normal and nothing to worry about. 

Shanaz
Mummy:  Shanaz
Daddy:  Phil
Squirrel:  Seren

Offline newmommyl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2006, 11:19:14 am »
thanks, i love to hear normal ;)  I'm sure you've tried this, but have you put your dd on your lap on her belly? 

Offline shanaz

• Shanaz
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2006, 12:16:58 pm »
Hi

Yes, do that too but she gets grumpy quite quickly. oh well, got to just persevere!

Shanaz

Offline Kyles_mommy

• Showing Appreciation 1
  • DS Kyle
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2006, 14:10:39 pm »
Hi all,  I just wanted to tell you about my ds Kyle, He is just over 4 months old now and hated tummy time.  But about a week ago all the sudden he loves it and can hold up his neck even better than before and now he is trying so had to sit up.  So keep it up.  Your lo will amaze you everyday!

Leigh
I love being a Mom!!!

Offline samijoe

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2006, 22:33:20 pm »
in my experience dd got tired easily during tummy time...and there is no sense prolonging it when they are crying!  this will definitely not help the situation.  but, you will find, that soon enough your lo will be just a bit stronger...and the tummy time will last longer.
don't get discouraged and definitely don't give up.  it is very important that our kids develop these skills.  today's generation of kids are having problems with upper torso development due to the SIDS scare.  i have to admit to my lo having lots of tummy time...including sleeps.
 :-[

Offline Karin3

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2006, 13:36:07 pm »
Hello Everyone,

My DD also hates tummy time.  It's nice to know that there's others who don't like it too.  I tried using setting up the mirror and propping books up around her.  She went longer this morning then she usually does.  She does get tired out quickly.  This time though when she got tired she was more inclined just to put her head down and suck her thumb instead of fussing.  Then, when she got bored with that she'd lift her head, look at the mirror for about a minute, and then go back down.  All together, she spent about 20 mins on her tummy, which is much better than the 3-5 mins we were doing before.  There was some intermittent fussing here and there.  I would put her on her side, talk to her for a bit, and when she was calm, I'd put her back on her tummy.  Does it still count as tummy time if they're not lifting up their head?  Also, she's spirited/touchy and she was pretty overstimulated after this tummy time.   ::)  I tried just holding her & talking softly to calm her down before we started the wind down but she still threw a fit at her morning nap (mornings are usually the easiest).   :-\  Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with that?
Karin
Stepmom to Caroline, 10 years old

Offline shanaz

• Shanaz
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2006, 13:53:38 pm »
Hi Mimi's Mom

I have no advice re: your dd getting overstimulated from TT. My dd still doesn't like TT and can only do about 10 mins before crying like a mad thing.  She has only rolled about 3 times, never back to front - only front to back when she's got so angry about being on her tummy!  ::)

I try not to do it to near her bed/nap time, this way she isn't so wound up.

Shanaz

Offline Tessy

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Germany&England
    • Little T's site
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2006, 19:46:28 pm »
Hi everyone,

good to know I am not alone  ;) My little one is 15 weeks old now and he still hates TT. I put him every A time on his tummy for a bit but after 2 minutes he rubs his face on the floor and gets really cranky.  ::)

I tried everything what is mentioned here. Hope he is getting stronger soon.

Tessy
Petra & Jamie Conner

Sorry for my english ... still learning !

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline shanaz

• Shanaz
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2006, 19:53:49 pm »
Hey Tessy

Good luck with it.  Seren is 23 weeks now and still doesn't like it for longer than about 3 mins.  ::)

Shanaz

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2006, 00:11:07 am »
When baby is on the floor on tummy, if s/he looks like the feet are sort of scrabbling along on the floor, try putting your hand behind the foot/feet and see if baby pushes off your hand and even moves forward. Sometimes the forward motion itself can keep them interested, especially if there's something JUUUUUUST out of reach to move forward TO. :)

Offline Tessy

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Germany&England
    • Little T's site
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2006, 14:55:03 pm »
OH yeah, thanks for the reminder. There was something in this thread I wanted to try, lol. But when I was reading it my LO was down for a nap. And guess what, he is just having his catnap now  ::)

Okay, try to keep it in my head this time,  ;) ;)

Tessy
Petra & Jamie Conner

Offline rinajack

• Showing Appreciation 162
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2006, 02:11:40 am »
I have a tummy sleeper here, but she hated tummy time in A time.  Someone suggested to me to put a rolled up towel under her underarms/chest to give her more height, with some toys where she can reach.  It worked a treat, she lasted much longer on tummy time quite soon.  Now we don't need the towel, she often does a good 1/2 hr of tummy time.  Not always, depends on mood, but often.

HTH
Rina - Mum to Zara 29/3/06
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline Tessy

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Germany&England
    • Little T's site
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2006, 09:53:12 am »
Wow ... half an hour  :o :o We are far away from that  :-\
Petra & Jamie Conner