Author Topic: Addicted to patting  (Read 1140 times)

Offline christie79

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 19, 2005, 10:39:05 am »
Hi,

I started the ssh pat thing a couple of months ago. But now my 6 month old won't go to sleep unless he his patted to sleep. He is quiet when I'm patting him but as soon as I stop he starts crying. I have to pat him until he is asleep and this takes anywhere from 15-30 minutes. After 30 minutes I just give up. How can I get him to lay quietly and go to sleep without patting him? If I don't pat him once he starts crying he starts screaming. And I can't just leave him to scream becauses it a really awful scream. He sleeps on his tummy and will definately not sleep on his back or side.  Even if he can see me and I'm singing to him or have my hand on his back he will still scream if I'm not patting him. Is there anyway to get him off this patting thing?

Thanks,
Christie
Christie (25)
DH Jason (35)
DS Jacob (19/04/05)

Offline Maddy's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
    • The Family Website
Addicted to patting
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 13:25:14 pm »
Hi there,

I think at 6 months, DS will learn how to soothe himself to sleep most quickly from pick up put down. At six months you do this by using your voice to reassure DS and when he gets upset that you are not patting him, pick him up, gently lay him into a horizontal position and reassure him 'its bedtime honey...' and gently lay him down. Try not to make eye contact whilst reassuring him, he can't help engaging with you if you do.

You may also have to help him to control his arms and legs, as at six months once he starts to flail, he does not yet have the skills to calm himself. Most six months are no longer swaddled, so you could just wrap a blanket around his arms and legs.

Good luck and let us know how you get on - the big big key to PU/PD being successful is consistency, so once you start, keep going until he is asleep - I always found it handy to dig out my baby whisperer book before attempting something new with Mads and read up on it, also having it to hand for reassurance whilst doing something new, helped me to stick with it and not cave in.

Take care
Dee
x