Author Topic: Early wake, early feed? Resettle?  (Read 1042 times)

Offline otm

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 19, 2005, 11:08:58 am »
HI
7.5 month ds has started waking really early occasionaly. Used to be 6.15 or after..now every few days its 5am.

Wondering a couple of things - could it be because sometimes he has 2 naps (if long ones) and sometimes he has three? Inconsistency?

If he wakes at 5am what should i do? Is there a particular technique for morning resettling? What do you think the earliest i should feed him should be? I have held off till 6am so far. Just worried it'll get even earlier and soon it'll be 4am!

Thanks for any help

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
Early wake, early feed? Resettle?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 13:34:53 pm »
Best thing to do at this point is pick a time and stick with it. If you don't want him up any earlier than 6 am, don't go to him until then unless he's crying out to you, then resettle if you can. We've had to do that with our lo for awhile; she'll usually resettle and fall back to sleep on her own, then sleep longer than we expect.

Also, what time is bed time? He should be getting around 11-12 hours of sleep at night if he's not already. Not getting enough sleep during the day and night is usually the culprit behind early wakings.

For naps, I would see if you can drop that cat nap completely all the time. It really depends on how long he's able to stay up; I'm thinking if he can stay up 3 hours or more than it's time to drop it. At 7.5 months he *should* be able to stay up for more than 3 hours, but every lo is different. Most lo's drop the cat nap completely between 6 and 7 months.

As for regular nap times, what I would do is start going by the clock more. 9 and 1 are good biological sleep times to start with, but the nap can start anywhere around those times within a half hour-an hour or so. I noticed that a lot of lo's with 2 naps start their second nap around 2ish. Pick a schedule, and try and stick to it within about a half hour or so for most days, regardless of if he takes a short nap on you.

Hope this helps a little!

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005