Author Topic: Nearly 6 month old 40 min naps Help!  (Read 1304 times)

Offline lulabella

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 19, 2005, 11:37:34 am »
Hello

I think this question has been asked a thousand times on this website but it will make me feel better if i ask it myself!
I have a ds who will be 6 months in a week. He will only sleep for 40 mins max each nap, unless i go in and pick him up and rock him till he falls asleep (i have only just started to do this as i know what a cardinal sin this is but was desperate!)
If i do that then he will sleep in total 2 hours between 12-2pm but if i don't we have the 40 min problem.
His schedule is roughly something like
6.30-7am wakes, bottle and some oat cereal
9am nap (only 40 mins)
11am bottle and pureed veg/fruit
12pm (ish) nap time (usually only 40 mins)
2.30-3pm bottle
5pm pureed fruit and baby rice
6pm bath
6.30pm bottle and bed
He then sleep all night so i feel a bit silly for posting this but am worried i am going to ruin his great night sleeping if i don't sort out this catnapping business. He rarely stays awake during his last bottle because his naps have been too short.
Have tried pick up put down and is too much for him. Have tried shush pat but he is now getting to stage where he gets excited if he sees me come into the room and it has an adverse effect. have also tried wake to sleep but again if he sees me its a disaster.
Any advice would be much appreciated!
sorry for the long post!

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
Nearly 6 month old 40 min naps Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 13:48:14 pm »
We have a similar schedule for our lo, and yours is about the same age as mine.

However, we also have a cat nap in there. Now, I know that our lo's are going to be dropping it soon, but I think right now they need it. Ours occurs anywhere between 3 and 4:30, depending on if she bombed her second nap or not. If she takes a long nap, we usually get her up by 2:30. For the morning nap, we usually let her sleep no longer than 1.5 hours.

The other thing you might try is extending wake time a little. My lo is up to almost 2.5 hours before the afternoon nap, and 2 hours 15 mins before the am. Short naps are usually due to not enough wake time, or too much wake time. In this case I suspect it's not enough wake time.

We go by the clock for the most part. She starts her sleepy signs about an hour before she's ready to go down, so we can't really go by those anymore. If we put her in front of several toys and she fusses, we know it's time.

Hope this helps a little!

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005

Offline lulabella

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 17:57:59 pm »
That is really helpful, thanks. I wish my ds would cat nap in the afternoon but he point blank refuses so i have had to drop it, which is a shame because he is so tired by bathtime!
i will def try to extend wake time because it is only really a couple of hours between morning/lunch time naps.
Thank you so much, it is really nice to know my little one is not the only one like this!

Offline bsparki73

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 23:15:54 pm »
ditto ditto! We are in EXACTLY the same situation at the moment! My nearly 6 mo is doing the 45 min naps during the day....he ends up having 3 or 4 of them which keeps me busy...pu/pd & pat shush had exactly the same reaction you're talking about. I've extended his awake time to 2 hours & i'd like his bedtime to be later than 6.30 but he's just so tired/cranky by then!! AAAAHHHH. But we're the same, can't really complain because he then sleeps for 12 hours straight....he wakes at 8.30pm for a very early 'dream feed' because he's so tired at dinner time that he doesn't drink very well & then goes off until 7am! I'm just hoping as he gets more active he'll eventually break through & nap for longer???? Finger's crossed! Good luck to all of us I guess  :D
Sophie

Offline Debprins

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • And now there are two...
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 00:28:16 am »
I am battling the same situation. I have just gone in to my Lo after 40 mins and she got so excited but is still whinging. Do I perservere with putting her back to sleep or just get her up. It just sets the rest of the day for a bad day. I am trying to extend her awake time because sometimes of a morning she can only stay awake for 1hr15 and a t 6months i'm pretty sure she could stay up longer, so hopefully i haven't just made her overtired. I would love to hear if you've had any success. i'm finding by 6pm she is so exhausted she also wont take her bottle also  means an earlier start to the day boo hoo.