Author Topic: Too Short an Afternoon Nap  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Stinky's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Too Short an Afternoon Nap
« on: October 19, 2005, 17:42:21 pm »
Hi,

I have a almost 10 month old whom has been on a 4 hour easy routine since the beginning of September and we used PU/PD to cure some accidental parenting issues around sleeping (nursing to sleep and waking every 2 hours to nurse at night).  We had a great deal of success with PU/PD initially.  She is going down really well at night (we can almost leave the room after we put her down), but her naps are a totally different story. 

I wait until she is drowsy to put her down but once I put her in the crib, it is like trying to get a mexican jumping bean to sleep (sitting/pulling herself up).  She doesn't cry, so I am not sure if the shush/pat is appropriate.  Also, she has a very good morning nap of 1.5 to 2 hours but her afternoon nap rarely last more than 40 minutes.  I have tried shush/patting her back to sleep but with no luck.  She definitely needs a longer afternoon nap as she is horribly cranky in the evening.

Any suggestions for either problem would be greatly appreciated.

Emma's Mom

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 02:04:40 am »
Glad you are finding success w/ BW'ering.

You say you wait until drowsy to put down for naps - i this age i think it is appropriate to start putting her down awake.  You can do it gradually if you like but start going for more and more awake.  Do your wind down and leave.  Let her settle on her own and only go back to re-settle if she is upset.  Then settle and leave.

As for the pm nap refusal, it sounds like you need to shorten the am nap to more then 1hr.  This should help w/ that.

Hope that helps.

Offline Stinky's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 17:36:04 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I have tried for a couple of days to get Emma to try to settle down on her own, but if I leave the room she screams bloody murder.  I am not sure what to do. 

Help?!?!?

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 21:03:05 pm »
Quote (selected)
I have tried for a couple of days to get Emma to try to settle down on her own, but if I leave the room she screams bloody murder.
How was/is she falling asleep for naps?  Independently?

Quote (selected)
Also, she has a very good morning nap of 1.5 to 2 hours but her afternoon nap rarely last more than 40 minutes.

If still struggling w/ this, i would cut am nap back to 1hr so she will more tired for pm nap.  I did this w/ success for several months before moving to one nap.

Offline Stinky's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 23:18:20 pm »
For nap time, we are currently doing her bedtime routine (books, lullaby, snuggle until drowsy then in crib).  I will stay beside the crib and lie her back down if she sits up/ stands up and shh/pat if she cries, but otherwise she falls asleep on her own. 

Is it too early to try leaving the room?  What are the steps to take to begin the process of leaving the room?  If this has been discussed in another string, I will be happy to look it up (at this point if you tell me to stand on my head, I feel it would be worth a try :lol: .

Thanks again!

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 02:23:17 am »
I don't think it is too early all and think you maybe staying too long.  I would put her in the crib and leave.  If she cries - hold back a bit (not CIO) and see what she does.  If it is just a moan or forced cry - hold back more.  But if it gets to the very upset cry go back in and do PD (at this only PU if really, really needed.  If you need to calm her, then i would put the rail down and you kneel to her level but don't pick up)

Here is what do for pd: I put her down, if she gets up I do this a few times - once she stays down and is calm, I pat for a minute and say nap time honey, good night, then leave. If she won't stay down after a few tries, I put down one last time and say nap time, good night and leave. If she is upset (not just moaning or forcing it, but the very upset cry) I wait 1 min, go back in and repeat.

She may surprise you and w/in a few days doesn't need you come back at all.

Offline Stinky's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 17:24:30 pm »
Thank you so much, Michelle.  I will start trying today and let you know how she does....

Offline Stinky's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 16:46:33 pm »
It is now day 2 and it is working wonderfully.  I have been puting her down alert (she is still sitting up in the crib) but tired.  I rub her back, tell her goodnight and leave the room for 1 minute.  She cries but (unless she has thrown her soother out of the crib) will settle herself down.  At most I have to go in one more time.  YA!

My (hopefully) last question for you is this:  Do they ever stop crying before settling themselves down or will we always have a little bit of crying?

Thanks so much for your advice.  It seems like we are almost at our goal of getting Emma to sleep on her own and we couldn't be happier!

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 23:28:13 pm »
Ohh so glad to hear!!

Yes, most do stop crying...we got to the stage where we didn't even a nwd...just put her in the crib and leave.  She played happily w/ her bunny, sip cup and what ever for 10min then went to sleep  :D

We have re-gressed since moving to 1 nap - but i am hopeful to get back there.  :?