Author Topic: Help with Night Wakings Please  (Read 1214 times)

Offline DN

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 19, 2005, 14:18:03 pm »
Good Morning,

I was wondering if anyone could help with the night wakings my 4 month old is having.  This is his schedule.

7am - wake and feed (7-8 ounces)
8:30 - 2 oz of juice (takes juice to help with poops)
9am - sleep (1.5 to 2 hours)
11am - wake and feed (7-8 ounces) (thinking of adding cereal here)
1pm - sleep (1.5 to 2 hours)
3pm - wake and feed (7-8 ounces)
5pm - catnap (half an hour or 40 minutes) (although last night he wouldn't nap at all at this time and went from 3 -8 without a nap)
7:30 - bath
7:45 - cereal (2 tbsp)
8:00 - feed (8-9 ounces)

The last few nights I have tried to dream feed him at 11:00 pm.  It has woke him up both times and he only takes 2-3 ounces.  He wakes again usually at 2 (but sometimes puts himself back to sleep or I go in if he starts to cry).  He then sleeps to 4 and this time I have to go in - no putting himself back to sleep.  And from 4 to 7 it's a struggle to keep him asleep.

This morning I fed him at 5 and he didn't want to go back to sleep so he was up until 6:40 and then had a two hour nap (schedule is clearly not on target today).

Anyway, the times he wakes are not always the same.  Since he started cereal about a month ago he was doing great - sleeping from 8 - 4 and then needing some reassurance at 4 - sleeping to 7 (without a dream feed).  BUT, there have been a few nights that he has been up every hour or every two hours.

So I'm wondering if I should start feeding him at 2 (like we did before the cereal) and maybe that will eliminate the other wakings from 2 - 7? And try to gradually move this feeding earlier every night?  The only problem is that he obviously needs these calories - were can I fit them in - he's eating 7 - 8 ounces usually at each feeding.  I was also thinking about introducing the cereal during the day as well to help with this.

Any help would be appreciated.  He clearly isn't getting a great nights sleep and I don't want him to have poor sleeping habits:)

Thanks!!
DN :P

Offline sara_derek

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
    • family homepage
Help with Night Wakings Please
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 22:36:23 pm »
Hello there,

How does your ds get to sleep?  On his own or with rocking/other prop?  That info will help greatly. :)

Thanks!
Canyon 12/27/02
Christian 7/4/05

Angel#1 12/23/01
Angel #2 5/23/06
Angel #3 11/27/06

Offline DN

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 22:44:43 pm »
He usually goes to sleep with a pacifier (although he sucks on it for only a few minutes) and after that he sucks on his tongue.  During his naps he is able to put himself back to sleep and sometimes he can do this at night as well.

I forgot to mention that he also has a 6:00 pm feeding that is about 4 - 5 oz.

Thanks,
DN

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Help with Night Wakings Please
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 22:45:03 pm »
I'm out in left field here & also of the school of thought that more feeding & early cereal doesn't help night waking. I actually wonder if your lo doesn't have an upset tummy. I have a very big (21lb) 4.5mo & he is not fed cereal & sleeps 10hours (5 day time bf). I found with my first I fed him too much in the hope he'd wake up less & guess what he woke up more!! This one if I feed 6 feeds/24hours he wakes up & 5 he doesn't.
Given he is only 4mo In my opinion the first thing I would recommend is taking him off cereal & the juice if he is needing juice for constipation then I'm thinking he is waking up with an upset tummy & he isn't really ready for those foods. Milk is all he needs until 6mo!
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05