Author Topic: How long did it take for your LO to get used to solids?  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Nate'sMommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
How long did it take for your LO to get used to solids?
« on: October 19, 2005, 21:32:52 pm »
Why I can't remember this from DS1I don't know (oh ya, it's called 2 kids under 2.5 and a mushy brain!)  How long till your LO figured out how to eat rice cereal/solids from a spoon?

Started DS2 on rice cereal last week after speaking with doc.  So far, I would say he has consumed nothing, and equally, has not figured out the spoon yet.  I know he is young still, but come on!  He bats at the spoon, holds his mouth shut, turns his head, or spits, yes spits (not tongue thrusts) it out at me.

Any hot tips to try? or just wait it out and hope exposure every day helps?
Kelli ~ Nate AND Ian's mommy

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 22:04:29 pm »
IMHO it sounds as if he's not ready for it.  He's still on the young side (not on the too young side) so I don't think there's anything wrong in waiting a couple of weeks and trying again then.  Some babies are ready for solids earlier than others.

Just curious... was there a reason that the doc suggested you start him on rice cereal?
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline Nate'sMommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 22:22:40 pm »
I was thinking the same thing - I don't care whether he does or doesn't start them...he slept 12 hours last night (but not every night

He is a pretty big boy and has been eating sometimes 40 oz a day of formula - we discussed the possiblility of some extra calories vs the APA guidelines tht say to wait until 6 months.  He sits in the highchair at our meals and can roll both ways, get hands/toys to mouth, etc.  I started DS 1 at 5 months and it seems like he did great.  No biggie I guess...
Kelli ~ Nate AND Ian's mommy

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 22:52:22 pm »
I'd say not ready. If he doesn't take it he doesn't want it. I have a friend ds now 7, but he was a whopping 25lb at 7mo & still wouldn't take solids (or sleep more than 4 hours) Drove her mad. If he sleeps more than 8 hours most nights I'd wait a month or 2... babies are great controllers of their food needs & maybe he knows the APA guidelines & doesn't agree with your Dr :lol:
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 00:45:07 am »
I agree with the others - definitely wait - there's no rush and he's clearly not ready or interested (so much the better for him right now!).  Sounds like a smart little guy!  :D
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha