Author Topic: Help with 4 month old's night meltdown!!!  (Read 1881 times)

Offline gamom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help with 4 month old's night meltdown!!!
« on: October 19, 2005, 23:58:50 pm »
My daughter takes good naps during the day - although not longer than 45 min to 1 hour, she takes them every 3 hours (she is still on 3 hour EASY b/c she was in the hospital for 3 weeks last month, so I have not tried to transition her yet...)

Over the past 5 nights, she has  suddenly started having a screaming MELT DOWN from 6 to 7 PM every night.  The first night, we thought it was because she was overtired and we vowed to make sure she was taking her naps (and adjust our "errands" schedule accordingly).  But the next 4 nights have been exactly the same. 

She eats around 4:00, quiet play until 5:15 or 5:30, then bath, jammies, and a nighttime story book/winddown time and to bed.  We moved her bath time from 6:00/6:15 and bedtime at 7PM when she started having these meltdowns a week ago, thinking she needed to get to bed earlier.  But nothing is working.

I tried PU/PD with her a little tonight, but she screams the entire time.

Any thoughts?  Am I feeding her too late?  Could it be a growth spurt?(she is eating more now and started solids over a week ago).. she is FINE all day - its consistently at this time.  She eventually calms down/stops crying and falls asleep for about 1 hour, then up, eats her last night bottle and is down.

Thoughts??  Suggestions?? Am I missing something??

Thanks! Lisa

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
Help with 4 month old's night meltdown!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 00:35:58 am »
What exactly are you doing when she is having her meltdown?  Is she already done with her bath?  Is 4:00 the last time you feed her before bed  or does she get a bottle before bed?     You may want to give her a bottle right before bed if you are not.  Then she may sleep on through and not wake up in an hour to get her last bottle.  If you don't want to give it right before bed then give it before story time but I would definitely feed her closer to bedtime.   She may just be hungry or needs a little topper before bed.  Even if she does not take a full bottle I would offer.    Also, some babies just have a fussy time in the evening.  Sounds like you have a good bedtime routine down and the only thing I would add if it were me is a bottle before bed if you are not already.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th