Author Topic: Can I re-establish milk supply?  (Read 1574 times)

Offline pbarlow

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 20, 2005, 22:31:00 pm »
My son is now 4 mos old.  i stopped bf about 1.5 months ago. Can I re-establish my milk?
mom of 4

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Can I re-establish milk supply?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 23:08:29 pm »
The short answer is: possibly.  It's not going to be easy, but it could be possible to do so.  Are you still producing milk at all? Have you been pumping or was he completely weaned?

You'll have to bf frequently - like every 2 hrs to get your supply up and that includes feeding frequently overnight too (you'll probably have to use a lactation aid while nursing so your breasts will be stimulated but you can supplement with formula).  You'll likely have to take herbs and/or medication to help with supply as well.

Here's a link for more info:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html

I think it's great that you're interested in doing this, and I'm also curious for more of the background to your decision, if you're comfortable sharing... :)
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

annamum

Can I re-establish milk supply?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 04:08:28 am »
I agree with Erin, it is possible but depends very much on your determination and support you will get while trying it. I would probably try to find a LLL leader in your area or a lactation consultant to help you out with this.

I have heard of women relactating many months after they weaned their babies, for different reasons, one among them was to nurse an adoptive baby. I have hear of women who started lactating without even being pregnant by solely pumping. So, as you see, it is definitely possible but it may require patience and hard work.

Whatever your reasons, I wish you good luck!