Author Topic: what does it mean for solids to be "established"  (Read 1291 times)

Offline micah'smom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.xanga.com/mrskohng
what does it mean for solids to be "established"
« on: October 20, 2005, 22:44:26 pm »
micah is a great eater. he's a little over 6 months old, and has 3 solids meals a day, usually about 3 oz. each, or 2 veggie/fruit cubes + cereal. sometimes he seems to still be hungry after these, but i'm worried that his milk intake will drop a lot.

from what i read on these boards and in the book, it seems that when solids are "established" you 1) drop the dreamfeed/nighttime feed, 2)feed solids BEFORE milk.

when does this happen? also, my ped recommended no meats until 9 months, and no dairy (even yogurt) until 1 year old. is that right?

thanks!
selena, mom to micah 4/14/05

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 23:39:22 pm »
First, I think the idea of dropping the dreamfeed/nightfeed is that when solids are established, babies are usually old enough and are getting enough nutrients during the day that they can go long enough at night without milk. Although that's not necessarily true for all babies! Many still need a feed overnight for up to a year (or sometimes more).

Solids before milk is generally only recommended after 9 months, because milk should be the main source of nutrition for the first year - don't want them filling up on solids first and not getting enough milk!

The range for starting meats tends to be between 7-9 months - meats are a very concentrated source of protein and it can put too much strain on a baby's kidneys to process it too young.

For dairy, the range is usually 9-12 months.  Things like yogurt and cow's milk in cooking can be started closer to 9 months because the proteins are different and less allergenic in those forms than in regular cow's milk taken straight.  If you have any dairy allergies in your family, wait until 12 months for ALL dairy though! Straight cow's milk even in non-allergenic families is usually only recommended close to 12 months.

HTH!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline micah'smom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.xanga.com/mrskohng
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 00:00:19 am »
erin, thanks! now that i've switched from EBF to formula and solids, i feel so lost. especially since every book says something different. thanks for these guidelines.
selena, mom to micah 4/14/05

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 20:21:42 pm »
:D
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline newaussie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 23:50:21 pm »
It's interesting that HTH suggested milk before solids until 9 months.  I actually was doing that but finding that my DD sleep was not very good.  I went to see my midwife when Paige was between six and seven months and she recommended solids before milk at lunch and dinner time.  She said that solids are becoming increasingly important as your baby moves towards 1 year old and that I shouldn't restrict how much solids Paige was having.  She said just "follow my baby" and she would have as much as she needs. 

In my case she was right.  I just relaxed about solids and stopped paying so much attention to exactly how much she was having of what and before long she actually settled into having four really big bottle feeds and lots of solids. 

As far as meat.  Well I've introduced meat at six months which in Australia is recommended.  Every book and every country has different standards but I felt comfortable introducing the meat and have had no problems.  I also know a mother here who was veryhesitant to introduce meat because she and her husband both have allergies so it's definitely an individual thing.

The most important thing is to think about what makes the most sense to you and follow your instinct.  Trust yourself more than everyone else.