Author Topic: Is this a problem?  (Read 1040 times)

Offline GabrielleD

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
Is this a problem?
« on: October 21, 2005, 12:12:47 pm »
I put my 3 month old son on EASY about a week ago and he has adjusted really well. It helps that he is a Textbook child.
My question is about his waking in the middle of the night. He is fed at 6 pm and again after his bath at 7:40 pm. He usually eats a total of about 8 ounces at the two evening feedings. Then he puts himself to sleep on his own in his crib. I can't do the dream feed with him, since he is impossible to rouse once he is asleep in the evening. (I am not kidding...even a slamming door will not wake him up). Now for the possible problem...he stirs every hour (not at the same time) from 1 am to his wake up time of 6:30 am, makes noises/quiet whimpers for about a minute or two, then puts himself back to sleep. Sometimes, by the time I go to check on him from our bedroom to his nursery he is already asleep. He is happy and playful in the morning, so I am assuming that he is getting enough sleep. By the way, he doesn't wake up and whimper during his 1 1/2 hour naps during the day. This only seems to be a problem at night.
Is this something to be concerned about? If so, any suggestions would be appreciated. This is my first baby so I am still pretty clueless, but I love the Babywhisperer philosophy.

Offline Isom'smom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Tennessee
Is this a problem?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 14:19:40 pm »
Sounds like you have a great little sleeper.  I don't see it as a problem.  The sleep cycle ends at forty five minutes to an hour, so he's just waking up and resettling.  Don't know why he does it at night and not at naps... but I don't think it indicates anything is wrong.  Adults do it too, we just don't notice it.  I would turn down the monitor so his whimpering doesn't wake you (and after a while just a whimper won't), because if he really needs you, he'll cry out so you can hear him.  At this point, it should be getting easier for you to distinguish his cries.  Enjoy your sleep!

Crystal

Offline GabrielleD

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
Is this a problem?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 08:46:22 am »
Thanks very much for the help; it's hard to know what's "normal".

Gabrielle