Author Topic: Not quite sure what to do  (Read 1367 times)

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Not quite sure what to do
« on: October 21, 2005, 17:16:25 pm »
A while back DD had a bad case of diarrhea.  It just wouldn't clear up after almost a week.  The doctor suggested on a whim that sometimes a stomach virus can trigger a milk allergy, and to try and switch her to soy formula.  We did, and immediately she got better and has been great ever since.  But I don't really know if she actually had a problem with the cow's milk formula, or if the virus was ready to clear up on it's own.  Or even if she did have a problem, maybe it has passed.  Now it's time to start her on solids though, and I'm a bit concerned.  I'd like to introduce oatmeal first, to avoid constipation which has been an issue.  But, I'm wary because of the milk issue.  Also, I'd like to introduce yogurt at some point, but don't know if that's such a good idea either.  And does anyone know if there are lactose free yogurts out there?  What's everyone's opinion on what I should do about starting the solids?  Thanks so much.

Offline jchang

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.sdhealthylife.com
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 17:30:05 pm »
Here's some good info on yogurt: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T045700.asp

Be careful with the oatmeal, it can be constipating.

I already forgot what I started dd on - I think pears, peas, bananas, nothing  with too much bulk.  Whatever was easy to steam & blend.

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 19:28:52 pm »
Try and wait as long as you can on solids and go for the least allergenic things first if you are at all concerned (see the list at the top on a sticky). As GraceKellys mum suggested try applesauce or banana (if the pears in your area are too sour).

If you are worried about yoghurt you could try soya yoghurt first.
hth
Sara

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 20:16:00 pm »
Have you tried the cows milk formula since, to see if there is a reaction or not? You may be worrying for nothing.  :wink:

There are soy yogurts available, as well as soy cheeses, if she is milk intolerant. The reaction to milk at such a young age usually isn't the *lactose* it is the *milk proteins* so lactose-free may not do it for you.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 02:17:25 am »
I had heard that the reaction isn't actually lactose intolerance but allergy to milk proteins.  No we haven't tried her back on cow's milk formula, I didn't want to mess with a good thing.  But her father and her aunt (his sister) were both allergic to milk as babies and young children.  DH didn't tell me this until after we switched her to soy formula.  We are going to wait the full six months before starting any solids.  But I thought we had to start with some type of cereal first.  Also, I thought Oatmeal had more fiber in it than Rice Cereal.  That's why I had thought to try it first.  Thanks for the website, I'm going to check it out.

Offline jchang

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.sdhealthylife.com
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 02:24:41 am »
Oatmeal definitely has more fiber than rice but that's why it can pose a problem as a first food.  Remember you're transitioning from a complete liquid diet so you don't want to challenge LO's digestion with too much fiber which can plug him up.

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 19:21:19 pm »
My kids both struggled with rice, but did fine on oatmeal. I think every baby is different.

There are plenty of milk-free options for finger foods and baby foods. I didn't notice, are you in the US? Cheerios (the plain ones) are milk-free. Several of the Gerber finger foods (cereal-type) are milk-free. And fruits and veggies are most of what they eat for the first few months of solids any way.

Interesting about the milk-allergy from your dh's side, hmm? Funny how those things get forgotten until now - my dh's family was the same way.  :roll:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies