Author Topic: Baby wakes up 30mins into nap hungry  (Read 1162 times)

Offline mmmmchoc

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 21, 2005, 05:42:00 am »
I have been trying to get my baby on an easy schedule for a week now,

He is 5 and a half weeks old and Im fully breastfeeding, The problem is that he is never satisfied after feeding, I try to give him a full feed but he pulls off and acts like he is full for about 20mins when it all starts over again, he fusses alot at the breast and i do have a large milk supply (probably from his constant scacking), he also has a good latch so thats not the problem
He also has alot of trouble sleeping, usually its a BATTLE to get him to sleep and then he wakes up 30 mins into nap and wants to feed again,

how do i stretch his feedings out to 3 hours?

How do i try form his routine when he is crying to be fed?He is definatley hungry and theres still 1-2 hours to go before im supposed to feed him again

Offline tracefo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Baby wakes up 30mins into nap hungry
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 17:11:42 pm »
if he's only 5 and a half weeks he may not be able to go 3 hours yet.  My daughter is 3 months and still can't go 3 hours sometimes.  Also, if you have overactive letdow, which I do, you can try a number of things to get him to feed longer:  I got these from kellymom.com and a breast feeding consultant:
feed so that the baby's head is higher than the rest of his body
try different feeding positions ( there are some interesting ones on the kellymom.com)
the lactation consultant said to pump before the baby feeds to slow the milk supply
feed on only one side per time.
I know it's very frustrating when they don't follow easy the way the book says they should...  that's baby's for you...
I just give her another activity time after her nap and really try to do the 4 S's before her nap and hope I get lucky, which we do sometimes and not others.  Just listen to your baby if he's hungry feed him, he'll grow out of it sooner or later.
Hope that helps.
Tracey

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Baby wakes up 30mins into nap hungry
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 00:52:12 am »
Are you burping him really well and do you double side feed? Also, do you do breast compression as he starts to slow down, to encourage him to really empty the breast? 20 min might be a good amount of time for a feed. But he might also be starting the 6 week growth spurt...How long has this been going on?  I found that between 4 and 6 weeks, there were a few short little growth spurts when it felt like dd was feeding CONSTANTLY!  But it got better after a few days....
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha