Author Topic: Is baby sleeping too much?  (Read 1103 times)

Offline fleadle

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« on: October 21, 2005, 18:31:16 pm »
Help...

My 12 week old sleeps brilliantly through the night from 7pm til 4am then 4 til 6.30am....FANTASTIC!!!

However, I worry she is sleeping too much during the day, it seems she can only stay awake for 1 hour at a time, then have an hour nap....I am struggling to leave the house with her during the day as she won't sleep in the car seat or out and about, prefering just to scream until she gets into her cot.

Is there a way to have her stay awake (& happy) for longer & also take longer naps to enable me to structure our day?

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Is baby sleeping too much?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 21:10:43 pm »
Hi

Sorry, but it sounds like she is getting what she needs.  If she was robbing day for night or something, then Tracy has some ideas...but in your case i can only say she will start to lenghten her Awake time w/in the next couple of months and you should then have more time out.

When out and she is in her carrier but won't sleep have you tried blocking out all light (dark blanket, etc).  That may help.

Offline hollyandchloesmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 23
Is baby sleeping too much?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 00:26:51 am »
Hi, we went through this would only keep awake for an hour at a time, I got so worried I got the health visitor out.  She is 7 months now and stays awake alot is down to 2 naps and a catnap if she needs it.  So it does get better.

Only wanting to sleep in cot, we too have this however it is getting slightly better.  Does your dc sleep in a swaddle I have found that if I make sure she is cozy and felt like she is wrapped up she will sleep.  When we have cold spells I make sure she is wrapped in a snowsuit, another thing I have is called a 'bug in a rug' and she always falls asleep when she is in that.  I think it is something to do with the fact that she sleeps in a grobag/sleeping bag in the cot.  Also my dd is a tummy sleeper so when she is in the car seat or pushchair she can't do that.

Just wanted to let you know you are not alone!

It will get better, then unfortunately it will be something else!  Sorry
jane
dd1 - chloe 24.4.2
dd2 - holly 18.3.5

Offline fleadle

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 06:32:11 am »
thanks for putting my mind at ease....I have also been reading "Activity" section which seems to suggest things are "Normal" if any baby can fit into that category?

Thanks for the ideas re car seat, will try covering with blanket, although Immy is also a tummy sleeper which may suggest why she has trouble sleeping this way...never even thought of that!

:P