Author Topic: Success Stories - overcoming 45 min naps 6mth+  (Read 1211 times)

Offline bsparki73

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Success Stories - overcoming 45 min naps 6mth+
« on: October 21, 2005, 21:29:58 pm »
Hi there!
I'd love to hear some success stories of people who have managed to overcome the 45 min nap problem at around the 6mth mark? I tried wake to sleep yesterday but obviously didn't wake him enough...will try again today. I've found trying to sh/pat once he wakes is absolutely pointless he just gets totally worked up. Did anyone find that it just stopped one day? Maybe once they start getting more physicallyactive & therefore tired?? I'm stretching his awake times to 2 hours too....he definately needs 3 hours sleep a day plus catnap....which means 5 naps at the moment! I usually get 4 in.

Just would love to hear of any successes....might give me hope  :D

Thanks,
Sophie

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 20:59:04 pm »
My LO started the 45min nap at about 3 months.  I search high and low for information and found Tracy’s work, then this site.  By this time Megan was now well into 4mos and I moved her to 4hr EASY as Tracy recommends (A time of 2hr) and the short naps got a bit better.

I then used shh/pat and pu/pd to get her body used to sleeping thru the 1st sleep cycle as by now it was a habit.  We had success almost immediately and I was thought Tracy’s work was a godsend. (still do :-)

Things were great for 2 wks and after beating the 45min nap monster – we had a few weeks of great naps.  But then the monster came back.  I thought I would fall off the deep end.  But what I didn’t take into consideration was she was older now.  So I increase her A time by 15min and poof…the monster was gone.  At 4-5mos 2.25hr of A time was the magic number for us.

We also used awake to sleep w/ the paci (which worked about 50%) and is different then what you were trying.  I can post if you need ideas. 

Also have a look at the announcements at the top of this board as there are lots of tips and success stories for you  :wink:

Offline bsparki73

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 01:13:09 am »
Hi Michelle! Thanks for your advice! We actually had a break through yesterday....I was CHEERING I was so excited once he hit the 1 hour mark & he kept sleeping for another hour  :D . I had gone in at the half hour mark & done 'wake to sleep'...rustled him, he opened his eyes & then fell back to sleep, BUT he's also been awake for 3 hours before the nap so now we're not sure what did the trick! Obviously 2 hours awake wasn't enough & based on what you're saying, my 6 month old could go 3 hours?? Maybe 3 hours before the first nap of the day & 2 & 1/2 before the second or whenever he gets tired.
Sophie