Author Topic: When will baby show affection?  (Read 4178 times)

Offline MCGoldsmith

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
When will baby show affection?
« on: October 22, 2005, 01:02:31 am »
Hi there... I'm a new mom to 14 week old Grayton. Initially I was afraid to rock him at night after his last feeding... for fear it would be a "prop" ; we would have bath time w/low lighting, soft music,ect. while getting ready for bed but I couldn't resist and started rocking him to sleep. I really enjoyed this and looked forward to our special time all day but for almost two weeks now he screams as soon as I sit down with him. I know that he is not over-stimulated, as this is his shortest A time and nothing about our routine has changed. I even tried to not rock.. just holding or walking with him and nothing gives until I lay him down in his bed. Then he settles himself and goes right to sleep. Both my husband and I are so affectionate and I worry that this means he won't be. What, if anything should I do or will he change this as he gets older? Thanks so much for any comments.  :)
Meredith

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 01:22:59 am »
{Hugs} - your son loves you just wonderfully!  I'm wondering if he's just loving his bed so much that he knows it's bedtime, and you've done a wonderful job in making him feel safe and secure and he just wants his bed?  Both my kids go down straight away at bedtime too because they love their beds too.

My ds wasn't over affectionate as a baby and would barely sit on my lap for a minute, but by about 12mths I was getting the best cuddles from him.  My dd is different and will snuggle in and sit on my lap for ages and will even drop off to sleep on my shoulder if we're out and she needs to whereas my ds just wouldn't snuggle in when out because he was so used to his bed.

How is he during the rest of the day with being held?  I'm sure you give him lots of cuddles the rest of the day and maybe you just need to change the time when you have your special moment.

:)

Offline MCGoldsmith

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 01:33:56 am »
Thank you sooo much for your reply Nikki! I have seen the pictures of your little ones on several forums and they are just adorable!! Little Danielle has the cutest cheeks and Nathan is very handsome, too.  :)  Yes, he is good w/being held during the day but from your advice- starting tom. I will make an A time just for the two of us and it is sure to be a cuddle-fest.  Thanks so much, again.
Meredith

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 01:50:35 am »
definitely don't take it as a rejection - just think if you were tired and wanted to go to bed and someone (Dh perhaps  :wink: ) kept trying to cuddle with you.  when they are tired might seem like the time to settle in for a cuddle but i think past the newborn stage they know that when they are tired it means to go to bed and like Nikki said this shows you did a  good job and he likes to go to his cot and get some sleep  :D  i cuddle with my kids on and off during the day - we are a very affetionate family and because it is when they are alert and happy it is a fun and special time with giggles and kisses and squeezes...
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline MCGoldsmith

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 02:01:41 am »
Hahaha... Thank you so much Debra. That is halarious. I know that Dh means husband now.. but what does it stand for? I am new to this and don't know the abbr. for anything. -- Your kids are beautiful. I hope to get a picture up of my Grayton soon. This site has been so wonderful. I really appreciate all the nice comments and advice.

~I'm a southern gal from Alabama~
Meredith

Offline momtoelise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 17:56:06 pm »
I've been wondering the same thing for a long time!!  Sometimes when Elise is really tired/fussy & I lay her down for a nap she gets all happy & will start talking/cooing in her crib for quite awhile.  I've always kind of worried she was sick of me or something.   :lol:

Does anyone know when babies typically start showing more affection (hugs/more cuddles/etc)?  I'm so excited for her to show love back to me!
Heather
Mom to Elise (2005), Jack (2008), Isaac (2012)

Offline Mommy Moo

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Canada
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 22:18:59 pm »
My DS was the same until around 8 months. He has been a cuddler ever since.
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 275
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 23:28:06 pm »
My dd has only just started to climb into my lap for some affection. Even now she still only does this head butting thing... or rubs her head on me like a cat.  :lol: I always have this strange envy pang when people talk about trying to get their lo's out of their bed and into the crib as if I ever even try to lay down with Ella she punches me!   :shock: :lol: Some are just more snuggly than others but even with my fiercly independant girl I know she loves me and I attack her with snuggles anyways...

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline GraysonsMommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 21:11:32 pm »
It's funny, my son's name is Grayson!  Anyway, he is the same way as Grayton.  At first, we didn't know what his problem was and we were trying to cuddle him more, thinking we needed to soothe him, but nope, he wanted his crib and that's all.  I got frustrated one day with all the fussing, I just put him in his crib and walked away, sure enough, it is just what he wanted, he layed there cooing and talking, then he turned to his side and fell right asleep.  I was stunned!!  This is a boy who never slept through the night or napped well until about 4 1/2 months old.  I personally love it!  There is a clear distinct line between his awake and sleepy moods.  When he is tired, if I put him on my shoulder, he sort of growls and as I get closer to his bed, he quiets down in anticipation.  The silly booger even gets excited as I'm laying him down!  I use our early activity time, just after he wakes, for the cuddly stuff, he's more receptive to it then.  He likes when I get close to his face with my face, he reaches out and softly touches my face all over, like he is exploring it, but I see love in his face, it's soooo awesome!  Maybe start trying to be cuddly when he's not tired and wanting his ever-cushy bed.  He he  Look for the quiet alert state.

Jessica
Grayson born 5/28/05
A Spirited and slightly Touchy little guy

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a214/luckylot1999/6f36d4a2.jpgimg07610qs.th.jpg[/img][/URL]

Offline MCGoldsmith

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 18:40:17 pm »
Thanks everyone so much for your replies! Grayton hasn't a chance now... He will have to be affectionate as I hug and kiss him ALL day now!  :lol: He is still squirming to get into his bed at night but I respect his wishes and think its pretty wonderful.
Thanks again for the words of encouragement. This site is sooo helpful, and all of you so nice.  :)
Meredith