Author Topic: when should baby show affection?  (Read 1131 times)

Offline MCGoldsmith

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
when should baby show affection?
« on: October 22, 2005, 01:20:17 am »
Hi there... I'm a new mom to 14 week old Grayton. Initially I was afraid to rock him at night after his last feeding... for fear it would be a "prop" ; we would have bath time w/low lighting, soft music,ect. while getting ready for bed but I couldn't resist and started rocking him to sleep. I really enjoyed this and looked forward to our special time all day but for almost two weeks now he screams as soon as I sit down with him. I know that he is not over-stimulated, as this is his shortest A time and nothing about our routine has changed. I even tried to not rock.. just holding or walking with him and nothing gives until I lay him down in his bed. Then he settles himself and goes right to sleep. Both my husband and I are so affectionate and I worry that this means he won't be. What, if anything should I do or will he change this as he gets older? Thanks so much for any comments.
 :)
Meredith

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 01:32:16 am »
I think he is just ready for bed if he quits fussing when you put him down.  Lindsey does this to me sometimes.  She fights her windown to the point where I just put her down and she gets quiet and goes off to sleep.  Some babies just don't like as much cuddles which is just part of their personality.  My Mom said that when I was a baby I was sick and she was trying to hold me to calm me which was not working so she decided to put me down so she could go get coffee.  She said as soon as she put me down I went to sleep. I am still not a big cuddler today, except with Lindsey when she lets me.  :wink:   Don't take it personally, I am sure he will be affectionate.  It is just that when he is tired he wants to go to bed.  Which is a good thing right.  :wink:  :)
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline Isom'smom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 01:32:46 am »
Wow.  Sounds like a kid who knows what he wants.  Tired (although not necessarily overtired) and knows that he's got to go to sleep on his own cause that's what mommy taught him, and he just wants to go to sleep and to heck with all of the rest of fooling around.  Try just a quick cuddle standing next to the crib and then lay him down.  Some people just don't want to be messed with when they're tired. :roll:  :D  And yes, everything changes when they get older.