Author Topic: How do I put her to sleep without crying?  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Auburn Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How do I put her to sleep without crying?
« on: October 22, 2005, 02:56:48 am »
My little girl is 8 months old.  I tried PU/PD with her about a month ago...worked well, but is now way too overstimulating.  She's rarely waking up at night, but my problem is putting her down in the first place.  She will be very sleepy and wants to just go in her crib. (Won't let me hold her or rock her for very long at all to soothe her.) I give her a paci and she starts to fall right asleep, but then jolts herself awake, sees me staring down at her, and thinks it's time to play.  She absolutely CANNOT fall asleep with me by her crib unless she has rolled on her stomach and cannot see me.  But if she's on her back (which is how I always put her to sleep) then she will stare at me and get excited.  But when I leave the room, she cries.  I hate to let her cry but do not know what else I can do to help her go to sleep.  I've been letting her cry for 1 minute, going back in and soothing, and leaving again.  Sometimes this seems to get her more upset and I'm wondering if I should let her cry for longer. (Even though I hate that too!) I have to leave the room because there is no where I can stand to be out of her line of vision since she can pull herself up.  I would really like for the beginning of sleep to not be so traumatic for either one of us! Any ideas?

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
How do I put her to sleep without crying?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 03:30:40 am »
It sounds as if your presence is really hindering her ability to fall asleep.  If you are absolutely against letting her fuss for a few minutes then I would leave her for at least 10 min, give her time to settle herself, then if she is really still upset, go in, tell her night night, then leave again.  At her age having you in the room with her can be too stimulating.  I mean if you really think about it, could you go to sleep with someone standing over you watching you, especially someone who you loved very much and enjoyed their company.  Give her a little credit here, she may surprise you and drift off to sleep within 10 minutes.   I believe she does know how to put herself to sleep if she is not waking up at night for you.  All babies do have a lighter stage of sleep and even may come to full conciousness.  If she did not know how to put herself to sleep she would call out for you.   Just give her 10 minutes and see what happens.  If after 10 minutes she is still really crying and does not sound like she is settling at all, then go in, say I love you but it is time to go night night, and then leave her again.  Go in every 10 -15 minutes until she goes to sleep.  And if it is like minute 14 and it sounds like she is beginning to settle don't go in because this will only upset her seeing you. 

It is up to you how you decide to go about this, but it really sounds like you need to step back a bit and give your lo a chance to know that it is ok for her to go to sleep while you are not in the room.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th