Author Topic: I am a prop!  (Read 996 times)

Offline nelli

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 22, 2005, 13:36:11 pm »
Hi,
I did PU/PD when my son was 7,5 months. He is now 9 months and I have landed in a situation that I dont know how to get out of. He now only falls asleep if I am in the room with him rubbing his back and talking to him. He is simply unable to fall asleep without me i.e. settle himself. If I stop rubbing his back he get very restless and starts crying. How do I teach him to fall asleep on his own??? Can I leave the room for some time and come in every few minutes to reassure him that I am still there?
Please help....Looking forward to hearing from you
Thanks
Nelli

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
I am a prop!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 19:12:02 pm »
how does he act during his awake time?  is he suddenly wanting you around more then as well?  is he not playing on his own as much, and wanting to cuddle more?

if that is the case it might be more that he has separation anxiety.  (or teething or about to be sick - but from what you describe i'd wager not)

what we've been doing around here to counter that beast is that i will lay luke down in his crib.  if he starts to cry i will soothe him in his crib until he stops crying (pu/pd makes him furious), tell him good night, and walk away. 

if he starts to cry, i will immediately turn around & go & soothe him again until he stops crying.

i have had to repeat this for close to 40 minutes at times.   :shock:  but that doesn't happen too much anymore.  it's like he needs the reassurance that i will indeed come back to him & help him if he needs it.

HTH  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy