Author Topic: Very Desperate...Please Help!  (Read 1256 times)

Offline shellkendall

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 22, 2005, 15:27:26 pm »
My 2 month old (10 weeks) is completely capable of sleeping through the night; however, we have made the HUGE mistake of letting her sleep in the car seat/carrier and is now dependant upon it to get to sleep and to stay sleeping through the night.

If we rock her to sleep and then put her down, she will wake up shortly after and the cycle starts all over!

I keep reading that she is too young to be spoiled and to not let her cry because she'll feel abandoned, but there is no other way to teach her independent sleeping, is there???

Please Help!
Shell

Offline kate585

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
  • My darling redheads!!!
Very Desperate...Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 15:49:53 pm »
Please don't let her cry it out!!!  There is another way.  Have you read the BW books and learned about Tracy's philosophy?  Go to the bookstore right now and get the book.  It's a quick, fun read.  It'll take some work, but at only 10 weeks, you can get your baby trained real quick.  Check out the rest of this sleepboard for more info.
Good luck and YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!
Kate,

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
Car Seat Sleeping
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 15:58:47 pm »
We actually put an extra car seat INSIDE DS'S crib and let him sleep in it each night for the first 3 months!!  He is now 4 1/2 months and we did not have too much of a problem transitioning him out of it.  (We did it when he was 3 1/2 months.  It took maybe 2-3 days.  He now sleeps from 8PM-6AM with occassional wakings for his pacifier, but that's it.

I feel if she is comfortable sleeping in the car seat go ahead and let her sleep in it.  When she gets a little older start transitioning her....   Just my opinion.
Judy

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 15:59:28 pm »
Let me start with a great big <<<<<HUG>>>>>>

Ok, let me ask you this, when she goes to sleep in the carrier, is she rocked to sleep? Or can she just fall asleep on her own, without movement?

Honestly, there's nothing wrong in itself with letting her sleep in the car carrier. It's actually recommended for reflux babies. What you will want to do is let her sleep in the car carrier, but put the seat in the crib, so it becomes familiar, and she understands that this is her "bed" area. You can worry about transferring her over later if you wish, or you can start now. Try raising her matress to a 20-30 degree angle to simulate the seat. I would recommend getting or making a sling to put in the crib so she doesn't slide to the bottom.

However, if you have to rock her to sleep or use any other prop every time you put her in it, then this is a habit you'll eventually want to break. At her age pat/shh is recommended. There will be crying, but as long as you are there with her she won't feel abandonded. Babies need to cry to learn independant sleep; it's a taught skill, not one they are born with (although some learn faster than others). Anything that is taught takes time, fortunately it can be taught in 3-4 days with most babies up to about 5-6 months of age if you're consistant with the method.

Keep your chin up, you're doing fine :)

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005

Offline shellkendall

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 18:25:32 pm »
I am so thankful for your replies!  I was feeling so guilty about this, but now feel much better.  I have been reading Tracy's books since I was pregnant and have gotten her in the EASY routine; however, the sleeping is the only issue we strugle with.

Unfortunately, motion is necessary to get her to sleep.  If she sleeps in the carrier, how shall I carry out the shh/pat?  Take her out and then put her back in when she falls alseep (after 15 minutes?)?

Thanks, again!  I feel much better!!!
Shell

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 19:20:47 pm »
you're going to want to do it in small steps, to ease her through the transition (as i'm sure you're reading in the BW book  :wink: )

off the top of my head, i would get her used to sleeping in the car seat WITHOUT motion first.  then, i would have her start sleeping in the crib.  elevate the mattress so it has the same angle as her carseat.  roll up some towels & place them around her so she still has that same cozy feeling.

gradually, you will be able to remove the towels & lower the mattress.

give a couple days for each transition.

oh, and here's a link about shh/pat:
http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/pat-shush-for-babies-under-3-months-old-vt26672.html

HTH  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy