Author Topic: Waking up crying  (Read 1288 times)

Offline lizzie27

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Waking up crying
« on: October 22, 2005, 18:53:35 pm »
My dd is 5 months old and has slept 12 hours at night since about 3 months. For the past month or so, she wakes up about 30 minutes after going to sleep and cries. She will do this on and off until about 9pm when she will sleep soundly for the rest of the night. I am totally confused as to why this is happening. She cries so hard it is heartbreaking. I have tried pat/sush and this works but then 5 minutes later she is waking up crying again. During the day she is a contented happy baby and hardly cries, but for these couple of hours at night, she changes! Can anyone suggest a reason and possible solution? I seem to spend my evenings up and down the stairs every 5 mintues!!!!  :?

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Waking up crying
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 19:24:09 pm »
have there been any changes in her life recently?  has she started eating something different?  (have you started eating something different if you are bf?)

any new developmental skills she's practicing?  any chance of teeth?  or that she might be getting sick?

any changes in her napping routine?

the fact that you are continuously going in and reassuring her is absolutely the right thing to do.  whatever it is that's bugging her, she needs to know that you are going to help her through it.  i know it's aggrevating - i have a similar worn path in my carpet!  :wink:  but whenever she works through it you will have your great sleeper back again.

HTH  :lol:
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline lizzie27

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Waking up crying
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 19:50:43 pm »
Thanks - I'm not breastfeeding but she has started on solids this past couple of weeks. Could it be that? Not sure about teething. She isn't really showing any other signs and it is only this time of night.

Lizzie

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Waking up crying
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 21:00:56 pm »
very well could be the solids.  their digestive systems have to get used to the new thing, so it can cause them to be very gassy - and uncomfortable.

if you are giving her solids as part of dinner, you may want to try doing it at breakfast instead until she gets used to it.

HTH  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline lizzie27

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Waking up crying
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 19:30:57 pm »
Thanks for your advice. I have been giving her pureed carrott with baby milk. Today I have just given her porridge and then baby rice and she seems much more settled. Maybe she is just not ready to start other solids.  :)

Offline allyson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 12:05:47 pm »
my baby is doing the same thing. she is 5 months and we started rice cereal as well. she used to go to sleep so easily and sleep for 12 hours now she sleeps and wakes up 1 hour after and it takes us 1 1/2 hours to get her to go back to sleep after that. I do the same thing you are doing, it is very tough. Hope it passes. I dread bedtime now.