Author Topic: Starting as I mean to go on?  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Aiden and Marlo's Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
Starting as I mean to go on?
« on: October 22, 2005, 18:58:24 pm »
I don't wanna bf her at night, so I'm formula feeding when she's hungry between 12 and 6am.  I won't loose my supply during the day will I?

(I'm sure this is the 1st of MANY questions to come!!!!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lori

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 19:03:37 pm »
For the first 2 weeks, I would bf 24-7 hon. You want to establish a really good milk supply for the future. That night time nursing is what will do that the best. Your body produces the most prolactin between (I think) 1am-4am.

After your supply is well established, it would be ok to give a bottle at the same time every day. You may be able to work out a time to pump and give ebf so you don't have to buy formula.

** With such a big baby, you may find that she falls into a sleeping pattern sooner. She also may not need to eat as often as the wee tiny ones. Aim for every 2-2.5 hrs for the first couple weeks, during the day. After that at least every 3 hrs during the day.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Judy

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 19:17:07 pm »
Don't you find it easier to bf in the night?  No need to get up and warm a bottle?

I agree with Stacy... I think Marlo is big enough you'll find she falls into a great sleeping patter with very little need to eat during the night very quickly.  Just wake her to feed all day long as babies have one long feed cycle in a 24hr period and it's my opinion you don't want that long cycle during the day! :)

Offline jaxnp

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 20:40:33 pm »
Yep, I agree too.  You have to allow your milk supply to develop by nursing exclusively the first few weeks, otherwise it may not establish properly.  Why don't you want to breastfeed at night?

Diego's Mama

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 12:31:19 pm »
Must second that -- you're likely to really impact your supply.