Author Topic: 8 month old squealing  (Read 3693 times)

Offline Marc's mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 23, 2005, 00:10:13 am »
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to dissuade a baby from squealing?  My 8 month old son started squealing when he was about 4 months old.  Initially I think it was out of excitement, but I never imitated or encouraged it.  Now it's hard to know what it is because he does it constantly - when he's happy, excited, tired, bored, cranky, hungry, at home, on the subway, in the stroller.  The sound is ear piercing and driving both my husband and I crazy.  We've tried saying "No" every time he does it, but it doesn't seem to make any difference and happens so frequently that we feel as if we're saying no to him all the time.   Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we are just feeling so helpless!

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
8 month old squealing
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 00:20:01 am »
i just think it is a normal stage they go through as they are learning to communicate and explore sounds / their "voice" etc

as annoying as it sounds i think it is just something you have to let happen and i woudl personally not say " no" to him regarding this because you don't really want to discourage this exploration - this will develop naturally into babbling andthen talking - some just squeal more than others (my 27 mo old who can speak still delights in ear piercing squealing quite regularly  :roll:  and it truly gives me a headache - at this age i do discourage it because she has other ways to communicate and i explain to her that it is too loud, etc but an 8 mo old really wont understand that)
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified